Inventor to Solidworks conversion

rbm33

does anyone know of a way to import inventor files into solid works 2009 and still retain all the feature info. we have tried step files and we have also tried opening the ipt files but we cant get arounf all the features comming in as import. we would like to open these Inventor file with full funcionality in Soildworks 2009, and i was wondering if there is a 3rd party software out there or some other way to allow us to do this.

thanks in advance

If you go to "File" "Open" you will see inventor parts/assemblies as a file type that you can open. I don't believe there's any sort of importing or 3rd party file translation required. I'm running SW 2009 and all the feature info is there.

thanks for the reply

i have tried that and i can open the files succesfully, but when i open up a feature it shows as imported and i cant modify any of the original features.

You cannot retain the feature history tree. Use the Tools>Addins Feature Recognition to rebuild a feature tree.

You cannot retain the feature history tree. Use the Tools>Addins Feature Recognition to rebuild a feature tree.

i will give that a try, will we be able to open a sheet metal part for example, and then use the feature recognition tool and be able to modify the original geometry of the part?

we have over 1500 files that need to be brought into solidworks with full functionality.