Ramp on Curve

Interior

How do i stop the top edge falling when i try to create a ramp or is there a better way of achieving the effecti have posted the shape as a jpeg. and want the ramp to curve round

ramp.jpg

Try the loft command, as seen in my attached image... Make the profiles a bit larger than they need to be, then slice off the bottom to get the desired effect.

Im sure that there are other ways to get the desired effect as well.

ramp screen shot-01.jpg

Not being an "expert" I can only tell you the way I did it and let others point out how much easier it could have been done.

I basically set up a centerline path. At each end of the path I used the polyline command to draw a rectangle (width x height). I "cheated" at the tapered end by setting the height to something so small it barely registers. The other end is easy because it is the full height. Then I used the LOFT command to arrive at the final solution of a uniformally tapered ramp. It ain't pretty but it appears to work.

• 4 months later...

Hi, if I may ask, is this curved ramp possible in AutoCAD 2004 without the use of lisp(I have yet to explore them)? I mainly use extrude to make my structure into 3D and I cant seem to make this semi-circle road that ramps up (for 0.60 meters). And I think 2004 doesn't have the Helix or Loft commands yet. I have been browsing the forum and this thread is fairly close to my problem. Any advice to a newbie is welcome! :)

r1.GIF

Draw the shape as a closed polyline

r2.GIF

Extrude it. SLICE the solid with a plane defined by points A,B and C (C is somewhere on the vertical line)

r3.GIF

Slice it again with a plane defined by D,E and F. In the image, the red line is perpendicular to the edge GH

r4.GIF

Well, this is an "almost ramp". Other possible solutions:

- Use surfaces (EDGESURF)

- Surfaces, than transform in solid with a Lisp

- Use Lisps to draw the ramp. I posted some in this forum

Thanks sir fuccaro,

I get the Idea, I'll try that for now. I don't think I need the ramp to be perfectly detailed. I'm reading about the lisp's now and there was one you made for a circular ramp:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1100

And as I posted back there, is there one that allows me to specify the path of the curve, say an elipse-like curve?

Also, I've never really worked with anything but extrude (solids?), so I was wondering, If I did render the ramp made using the lisp, will it still work like extruded ones? Will it show textures and shadow?

Sorry, the circular ramp is circular, not elliptical. But try to convert it to block and slightly adjust the scale factor in one direction (x or y).

Surfaces should render fine

Hey, adjusting the xy of the blocks sounds like another solution too. Okay thanks for the replies! Though I think I can just "cheat" the ramp by slicing it twice, and get away with it. This will do until I get my hands on 2008. lol