version of autocad

RyanAtNelco

You can open the drawing in Notepad - the first characters (something like AC1012) at the top left corner tells you which version it was saved in - I don't have the list in my head, but google the letter-number-combo and you should find a list soon enough.

WARNING though - do not make any changes in the file while in Notepad, it might corrupt the file severly.

Some of the identifiers I recall are:

AC1021: AutoCAD 2007

AC1018: AutoCAD 2004, 2006

AC1015: AutoCAD 2002, 2000i, 2000

AC1014: AutoCAD Release 14

AC1012: AutoCAD Release 13

When you open a file Autocad tells you what version the file was last saved by:

Command: _open

Opening an AutoCAD 2007 format file.

Regenerating model.

The previous post is correct. However the information usually passes so quickly it is difficult to catch. Simply press F2 to see what AutoCAD passed along via the command line.

And once in a while you get a file that you can't open because it's saved by a later version - then it's sometimes good to know what version that was.

And once in a while you get a file that you can't open because it's saved by a later version - then it's sometimes good to know what version that was.

Why??? You still can't use the file.

Let's say you have more than one version availible in your office, might be good to check before you access the other version.

And if the file in question comes from a client, at least I think it's a good idea to check if this (newer version) is the reason I can't open the file before I call and complain.

Anyway, the OP asked for a way to check what version a file was saved in, I gave a way, if you don't want to do it like that, then don't.

Good Point Tiger... I thought my office was the only goofy place that only upgrades half the Autocad Licenses. I guess since I always have the newest version in the office, I didn't think...Sorry

Some of the identifiers I recall are:

AC1021: AutoCAD 2007

AC1018: AutoCAD 2004, 2006

AC1015: AutoCAD 2002, 2000i, 2000

AC1014: AutoCAD Release 14

AC1012: AutoCAD Release 13

I have come upon a series of version number in the 2xxx range. What do they represent, or may they have been from some LT or other specialty software then?

And don't forget the DXF files too.

Wm.