Repathing xrefs on multiple drawings

rfourn47

I've searched some other posts but can't seem to find what i'm looking for. i am trying to repath our xrefs from hard paths to relative paths. for example, currently our xref paths look similar to this:

F:/208009.00/arch/floorplan

and we would like to repath it to:

../arch/floorplan

I have already tried to use reference manager. it takes far too long and usually fails to work.

heres where im at. i would like to use the redir command where i put in the old path as f:/208009.00 and new path as ..

however we have hundreds fo drawings in multiple folders that need to be changed. i am looking for a way to dynamically import the path info without having to enter each path manually. i have a script to isolate the info i need per drawing, but cannot figure out how to transparently input it into the 'new path' option of the redir command. any suggestions are appreciated. please keep it simple if possible.

The only way I know to change the path of an XREF is to go into the XREF Menu and do all of them one by one.

You select the XREF you want to change the path for, go down in the "details" area of the XREF menu, go down to "Found at", select that, click on the little dots on the right, and give it the path you want.

As long as the path is correct the file for the xref should be found because when you change XREF paths this way, you are prompted to browse to the actual file, itself. Not just the folder it is located in. After you tell it where the file is at, it will always find it unless it is moved or the folder containing the file is renamed.

One option might be to use the "Autodesk Reference Manager" in autocad which is a standalone application. To use it you would browse to:

start> all programs> Autodesk> Autocad> Reference Manager

Reference Manager is perfect for changing the XREF paths in multiple drawings.

The help menu (Autocad 2010 at least) sais this:

"When you relocate drawing files or the external files that they reference, including other drawing files, text fonts, images, and plot configurations, the reference paths that are saved in the drawing need to be updated. The Autodesk Reference Manager lists referenced files in selected drawings and provides tools to modify the saved reference paths without having to open each drawing file. You can also use Reference Manager to identify and fix unresolved references."

-Chris

as i stated in my post, i tried to use reference manager already. didn't work.

i'm looking for an alternative way to change multiple drawings.

• 2 years later...

rfourn47, u manage to find a way to solve your situation? im facing the same problem and for now i jus add a new folder to the support file in the OP option. i still have to open the drawings one by one..wondering if there's a way to redirect multiple drawings at 1 go.. ;/

• 7 years later...