Why do you still use AutoCAD?

decipherd

In the chemical process industry, AutoCAD full versions seem to do all I need to do.

I would think any AutoCAD trained employee could produce *.dwg files for whatever todays project might be.

I do have added in programs for pipe fittings, pipe, valves. Dimensionally all are ANSI, flange connections and overall lengths. Hey, a 4" flanged connection is the same throughout the industry.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• decipherd

• Gary_W

• RFRUSSO

• Eatonpcat

BIM is seen as the future predominantly by people who have never seen a drawing in the first place.

I think that about sums it up...

can't read, won't read...

Gaz...

What has reading got to do with it? Are you suggesting it is a bad thing?

It's a good point, that in a positive light means its the younger generation that doesn't have a pre-conceived idea of what a 'drawing' is that is pushing BIM forward as a more efficient solution.

It seems mental to me that in this day and age we are using computers to basically reproduce what was done on paper... when they offer so many more advantages. It seems funny that there are architectural offices all over the world where if a window is changed someone has to change every drawing that it appears on, elevations, plans, details, sections, schedules. :roll:

What has reading got to do with it? Are you suggesting it is a bad thing?

It's a good point, that in a positive light means its the younger generation that doesn't have a pre-conceived idea of what a 'drawing' is that is pushing BIM forward as a more efficient solution.

It seems mental to me that in this day and age we are using computers to basically reproduce what was done on paper... when they offer so many more advantages. It seems funny that there are architectural offices all over the world where if a window is changed someone has to change every drawing that it appears on, elevations, plans, details, sections, schedules. :roll:

What I meant was people who can't read plans, won't read plans... so they have no interest in doing so from day one... These are the same people who can't visualise anything unless it's in front of their face in 3D and in colour!!!

I'm not saying BIM is bad, for production and accuracy it may be the way forward, but at the same time there are certain skills, talents and vision being lost in the process.

Gaz...

I"ve been using Autocad or its vertical products since Release 9. While not without some unique problem from time to time, I've found it to be the easiest and most capable system out there. Sure, some of the others might do a better job of modeling, but in my own experience what they gain in that respect, they lose when it comes time to put stuff on paper. One of the places I worked at in the past made the decision to upgrade to a true 3D package and we took a serious look at SW, had a very nice and capable person come in and spend an entire week with us. In the end, there were a number if issues. This particular employer was a company that fabricated copper tubing. The two biggest problems we had was that 1. even the company rep couldn't make it draw the shapes that we needed. Argued with me that Autocad couldn't do it either, till I sat down and walked him through how we did it, but even after that neither of us could get SW to do it, and the second biggest issue was that we had roughly 20,000 DWG files, and back then SW did not translate all the information correctly. We tried more than a dozen 2D and 3D drawings, and what came up on the screen simply was not usable. This was many years ago, and SW may have fixed that problem, but I saw no advantage to switching to anything else, so we went with Mechanical Desktop.

There are packages out there targeted at specific things that are less expensive and actually easier to use than Autocad. For instance, we have a program where I work now for drawing electronic schematics. Its fast, very easy to use, but that's all it will draw. I'm sure that with the help of some lisp and vba routines, Autocad would do it too, as well as the artwork for the circuit boards, and the shop drawings for the cabinets and enclosures that it goes in! So, the guy that designs the circuitry uses that, and I draw the rest of the stuff in Autocad.