Advise.

Sizer

Hi, new to the forum here so "Hello!"

I am after some advise, I am currently trying to return to work in a different area, being CAD. I have completed the City & Guilds 4353 level 2 CAD and am currently doing City & Guilds 4353 level 3 CAD.

At the moment my education is subsidised and Id like to take advantage of that, I have a background of around 8 years as a plumber, so my question:

Are there any other qualifications that would help me gain employment in the CAD industry/make me stand out from the crowd so to speak?

Id like to make myself an ideal candidate!

Welcome to the CADTutor forum Sizer. What is your field of interest? Will it be something in line with your background (piping) or something different (ex. - architectural)?

Welcome to the CADTutor forum Sizer. What is your field of interest? Will it be something in line with your background (piping) or something different (ex. - architectural)?

There so much variation out there!!.....I saw a job advertised helping design a new Air Craft Carrier, that sounded amazing but I feel for now Im not even close to that sort of thing. I have to do the 3d course aswell and still have a whole lot to learn.

So yes Id say more pipework, air conditioning, something on the construction side of things as I feel my background will help me out somewhat there until I gain more qualifications/experience.

A lot of people like cad who are experienced in the hands on part of the field they are drafting. So when applying for positions to do plumbing design i think you have a head start there already. My only advice is try to learn as much as you can about autocad and if possible one of its vertical products.

Piping can bring you into the HVAC field or maybe food processing, chemical manufacturing or refinery fields amongst many others. Don't rule out civil engineering either. Plenty of design firms handle water and waste treatment plant design all over the world. With your plumbing background you would have a leg up on the competition. "Dirty hands" experience is what I think they call it.

Hi, new to the forum here so "Hello!"

I am after some advise, I am currently trying to return to work in a different area, being CAD. I have completed the City & Guilds 4353 level 2 CAD and am currently doing City & Guilds 4353 level 3 CAD.

At the moment my education is subsidised and Id like to take advantage of that, I have a background of around 8 years as a plumber, so my question:

Are there any other qualifications that would help me gain employment in the CAD industry/make me stand out from the crowd so to speak?

Id like to make myself an ideal candidate!

Hi Sizer. I'm fairly new here myself. :)

I think you should get training with Revit MEP because it's becoming the norm for HVAC, Piping, etc. You will definitely stand out from the crowd! AutoCAD based products are good as well, but Revit is new on the block, and everyone is trying to learn it. Also, because you don't have that much experiance with AutoCAD, it'll be much easier for you learn Revit MEP.

Where about are you looking for CAD employment?

At the risk of sounding dim... "vertical product"?

Vertical products are 3D modeling software such as (in your case) AutoCAD MEP, AutoCAD Architecture, Revit MEP, Revit Architecture.