when binding xrefs are disappearing

The Courage Dog

hi, i'm trying to bind sets of drawings but for some sheetings i'am not able to bind them...exres are disappearing. Any idea what was the cause & how to fix this. thanks in advance .:(

hello, hmm try this. We have same problem the solution is..

1) Every xref has to be attached as an overlay not attachement, (use reference manager to do this, You will save time)

2) Check all additional paths to You xref, look for attachement, If You have any, change it to overlays (reference manager)

2) after this - purge all drawings, check for undefined 3d objects (lines, polylines, etc) (flatten command or other flattening tool)

If it wont help, for final You can do all above, and resave drawing with different name. (same folder with different name, the delte old one, and rename to previous name if needed)

I have bind at least 150 dwg last week, and almost 20 of them need to be fixed.

This method works 100%,

• 1 year later...

qbi

When changing xrefs from attach to overlay you run the risk of losing the attached xref in another drawing.

If drawing 'A' is attached to drawing 'B' and you reference drawing 'B' into drawing 'C', drawing 'A' will come in to 'C' by default. When you change 'A' to overlay in drawing 'B' you will lose drawing 'A' in drawing 'C'. Running the risk of missing part of your 'C' drawing. How do you avoid this?

OP: did you try REGEN after the bind? The inserted stuff is still there, but for some reason AutoCAD "forgets" about it.

cadman6735: I can't be certain, but I think the reasoning behind having the overlay/attach option is to avoid circular references. If you xref A into B, then B into C, then C into A, you could run into trouble. With an overlay, you can do that without the circularity. To answer your question, the only way to bring all your drawings forward is explicitly. In your example, you have to xref A and B into C as overlays. If you then xref C into A, you don't see the xrefed A, only A itself.

CyberAngel

You are correct Attaching will run the risk of circular references, if A is in B and B is in C and C is in A, this will be a circular reference.

But also, if A is attached B and B is in C (overlay or attached) you will see A in C. When you go back to B and change A from attach to overlay, you will no longer see A in C. If the user has been working off an attached xref and then you turn the attached xref to overlay you run the risk of losing partial drawing data in other files by haphazurdly turning references from attach to overlay.

Drawing B maybe xreffed into more than just one sheet file. So if A is attached to B and then B is referenced into say 50 other sheets then I go back to B and turn A to overlay, I lose part of my B drawing in 50 sheets, (the missing A file)

Okay, back to the issue at hand.

If you are using the insert option when binding and you have layers of the same name in the file you are binding to frozen or off, the layers will from the XREF will take on the properties set in that file. If that is the case, those layers are probably frozen or off for a reason. Use the bind option. This will create new layers for the resulting block from binding.

Let us know what method you are using for binding and possibly post a sample drawing that you are having trouble with (include the file that is being XREF'd and disappearing).