3D modeling checkered floor

derekh

I have seen in drawings that people have a black and white checkered floor that from what I have been told is an autocad feature. I was just wondering if someone can help me figure out how to insert such a thing in my 3D drawings??

Thanks

You have to create a 3D object and apply the material to it. Open your materials manager and create a new material, give it a name, and under diffuse map click "select image". Now browse to where the material is located. (there should be a jpeg image of a checker board pattern already within AutoCad) Once you have the image selected, apply it to the object. Scale as required. Hope this helps.

I follow you up to the part where i have to load the jpeg. I dont know where to begin to look for the preloaded autocad images in my computer? do you know where i can locate them?

Look up background images in AutoCAD Help. Your choices are Solid, Gradient or Image. You want to know how to merge a background with a rendering.

Mine are in the Program Files->Acad2000 ->TEXTURES SubDirectory. All are .tga format. Hopefully that hasn't changed much over the years. -David

I use AutoCad architecture so I just I-Drop the materials in from my Visualization palette or create new ones using textures I've found on the internet, so I couldn't really tell you where to begin. Here is the image for the checkered floor that you're looking for.

Finishes.Flooring.Vinyl.Checker.Black-White.jpg

Nice tutorial. However, it should be noted that rendering the scene is not the only way to make sure that the material has been applied. I find it easier to switch to the "realistic" visual style. Notice the render took 50 seconds on Medium. If you were to do that on every object, for every material, and every time you made an adjustment to a material you would never get anything done. Switching to realistic only takes a few seconds and then you can orbit around the object to make sure that everything has mapped correctly.