file cannot be found - help!

jkristia

I'm not sure what happend here, but it seems like whatever I did in the morning is lost.

Today I was working on a simple workbench for the garage, and I decided to create all parts as part of the assemble instead of as seperate files. Now when I came back to continue working I see this, most parts (and 2 sub assemblies) can not be found.

What happen - I'm sure the assembly was saved. Any idea why it fails to find some of the parts, but not others, e.g. in the 'Lower base' folder it failed to load the 'lower long' while it loaded the other... ??

Any way to bring it back?. I know it is still a couple of hours of work, but still, I would hate to do the same mistake again, whatever the mistake was.

Jesper

cannot be found.jpg

disaster, it seems like only one component got saved as an intern compontn while other components got saved to a tmp external file - how did that happen?

fileref.jpg

I'm a bit confused of what I'm doing wrong.

I recreated the parts in the assembly, now when I save it and check references in the Open dialog I see this.

Why is Part3 and 15 saved internall while the others are saved in the temp folder? - any idea ?

fileref01.jpg

it was probably based on when you hit the save button. If you hit save while editing a part rather than being in the assembly. This is just a guess. I typically try to save while editing a part to have a copy of it in the parent folder(and not just in the assembly).

If you right click on the part in your model tree can you load or search for it?

The part doesnt exist, the tmp folde exist but is empty. I tried the exact same steps again, and again, when I save the assembly (without saving a copy of the part) then I can close and open the assembly and the part is there, but once I close SW and reopen in the part has been removed from the temp folder.

I actually assumed that all parts would be saved as part of the assemble (as 2 of the parts are), but they are not. I'm still trying to figure out the difference.

sorry for keep going in this, but I really dont understand what I'm doing wrong and when.

In this first case I created 2 parts in the assembly, then edit one part and select save and it gives me the option to save either the part or the assembly, notice the part doesnt have a path, meaning it is saved internall to the assembly (I assume)

In the second assembly I think I did the same, yet the part is saved in the temp location.

I know I must be doing something different, I just havent figured it out yet

filesave01.jpg

filesave02.jpg

hmm, it seems like when I create a part in the assembly then it is saved as internal part and shows [Part^assemblyname] in the part tree, but as soon as I make a copy of the part (ctrl+drag from the part) then both the existing part and the new part shows without [], and when I do a save while editing the part then it shows the tmp folder location.

that is really odd. sorry i dont have SW in front of me but i know when i create parts in an assembly, in edit mode if i just hit SAVE, the part is internal to the assembly. This works for me because ive opened files a month later and still had my parts. If i hit SAVE AS while edit i get the same selection as you but my part names have a path( i think). It will save my part outside the assembly in a folder of my choice. I also have the option to save a copy(check box in the save window). I think in Tools>options there is a save document option. Maybe you need to play with these settings and save a new part and assembly template. When i have SW in front of me i will try to get some screen shots for you.

I'm still trying to figure out hwat is going on. I think it might be related to how I reate internal parts.

It seems if I create the part without any relation to any other part (click on an empty area when first adding the part) and then use one of the parts own planes for sketching, then it turns from being an interal to a 'tmp' file when copied, and 'most of the time' the tmp file is deleted when SW is closed.

If instead I start a new part 'in context' using another parts face as sketch plane, then it seems like the part remains as internal when copied, even after I remove the initial face mate.

Does that make any sense at all ?

maybe it has to do with your settings. When you first open an assembly(new document) go into Tools>options and peek around

When i start a new assembly, begin a new part and save the part before the assembly(just SAVE) this is what mine looks like. I close the files after saving the assembly and its still there for me. It saves it in my root directory(just the assem2 file). You can change the location of the other file to your SW/temp folder. Maybe your network settings clean out that temp folder?

SWhelp.JPG

Have you tried to make a copy of the internal part?,

I just tried it again, the part was created as internal and the save dialog showed the same as you see, then I when added the third copy (in this case it didnt happen on the second copy) then the [] was removed from the part name in hte tree and as you can see the part was moved to the temp location.

Anyway, I only play with SW on the weekends when I have some extra time, so this is not a big problem, but still strange.

sw01.jpg

well in the screen shot only one Jack screw was create, the other was a copy. I make it a point to re-name the file before i create anything but I dont know that this would have anything to do with it.

What does your System Options - External References look like?

swhelp2.jpg

aha - somehow I missed the 'Do NOT create references external to the model' - there even is a BIG toolbar button right there next to the edit ... sometimes you just cant see the forest for all the trees :)

Thank you very much for the help

noref.jpg

well that button doesnt do what you think. It creates a reference that changes based on other models. It doesnt relate to files external to your assembly. So if you projected geometry from another component in your model(say a hole), through the current part, if you went back to move that hole it would also move on your current part. If you click no external references first, you can still project that hole, but it will not have a reference to the other part and will not have any dimensions associated with it.