Questions about INVENTOR

ARGV

Hello all.

Ok, so I know nothing about INVENTOR. Is autolisp,vba, objectARX, or visualLISP supported in inventor? Does anyone know how it compares to solidworks in terms of funtionality, or any guesses as to how long it might take to 'retrain' people to use inventor?

Alot of people are proficient in solidworks at my company, but have never taken the time to find out how to work autocad. I want to know if I can continue to write my own functions in inventor.. that would be very nice. If I don't have that advantage over SOLIDWORKS, then it might be a hard sell to the decision makers at my place of business.

thanks!

You will find Solidworks and Inventor are VERY similar. Use this angle instead. With Solidworks you are paying for subscription to 2 products. With Inventor you are paying for 1 subscription for both Inventor and AutoCAD. Furthermore, there is competitive pricing available to "steal" away solidworks licenses from dassault.

As far as your autolisp dreams...not yet...not yet, but I based on conversations I have had in the last month or two it is something they are DEEPLY looking at (right now it only supports VBA, .NET programming, and macros). If I say anymore the men in black will come get me. As far as transition of users, Autodesk has a book for about 50 bucks that talks about the differences between the two programs for a user switching to Inventor which I have taught this class before as well; there only problem you will have switching users is some users are whiny about switching from what they know even if it exactly the same workflows with different buttons. You will also get users that will try and blow holes in your solutions no matter how insignificant to the process. Thats where it pays to have a good reseller on board for the transition.

I use autocad, Inventor, UGS and solidworks and I prefer solidworks to all of them. I think you will have a hard time trying to transition people over. SW has a few options to automate things. Of course you have macros but you can also create parts that are adaptive or based on inputs, spreadsheets etc. What industry are you in?

And you can do the same thing with Inventor with spreadsheets, adaptivity, layout design, sketch blocks, and multibody parts and the added bonus of iLogic which far surpasses SW driveworks. The biggest part about this is the users that will have to transition have a comfort level that they will try and impose upon the decision process. In general AutoCAD converts have an easier time with Inventor, Solidworks users who never used AutoCAD have a little harder time converting because the icons are not similar and the interface is cleaner than they are used to.

I would still come down to a balancing act of a money vs productivity here. If you can save X amount of dollars switching to SW on a yearly basis by bundling Inventor with AutoCAD and spend one or two days on customized training from your reseller you can avoid any detrimental effects to your productivity. Now if you have to continually redesign old models and have to reuse designs over and over again and the designs iterate themselves you will have to recreate some geometry. Inventor has the most conversion tools (SW, Catia, UG, SE, etc) but they will still be history less models. (That might change soon though as Fusion is leading the way on that front and SW does not care about this technology based on the last SW world event)

Mark, i wasnt saying that Inventor did not have the same options, I was just saying switching just for those types of options doesnt seem worth it (in my mind) since both packages accommodate almost the same thing.

Out of curiosity, what makes iLogic surpass driveWorks? I dont use driveWorks (other than the SW tutorial) since it doesnt apply to what I do.

I will say this with regards to functionality. I use both for FEA and I like using SW09 better for that function. Surface modeling I enjoy SW more for that as well. The thing I enjoy the most about SW over inventor is the motion simulation. IV Dynamic simulation is great but i feel that the SW Motion sumulation is slighly ahead of IV. These are all moot points depending on what you use the software for though. Both will get the job done and from the leaps they have made since release 10 id say the next generation will be that much better.

We (work, new Job) bought Inventor last years as you get Autocad thrown in for free (the boss loved that), we use both Autocad and Inventor, I could have got Solidwork, Solidedge or even Catia but I went for Inventor on the grounds of getting Autocad thrown in, no other reason than that, I have used Solidworks and know a little about Solidedge, to me all 3 can do what I want but as far as Inventor goes I have no problems with it, mind you I have been using it for 8 years, every day.:)

from the matrix it seems the functionality is essentially the same between the two(price aside). Only that driveworks is a third party add-in to SW which they say requires external database not naitive to the part. Since I work in an educational research environment we dont pay commercial license prices for SW and our university dropped autodesk products in 07(why i only have inventor 11 at work) so in my instance the cost benefit isnt really there(since i dont use driveworks:)). Ive played with driveworks xpress and havent seen the need for any external programming but maybe I missed something there not having the full add-in. Thanks for posting that pdf for me. There are so many features embedded in all these softwares that it takes a lifetime to get familiar with all of them:D

Matt, have you thought about picking up at least the free educational license of Inventor (watermarked prints) so at least you can play with the new gizmos? If you need an invite I can probably take care of that.

Does anyone know how it compares to solidworks in terms of funtionality, or any guesses as to how long it might take to 'retrain' people to use inventor?

Alot of people are proficient in solidworks at my company,

In my opinion the two programs are essentially identical in functionality (especially considering the functionality that most users actually know how to use - my estimation is that only about 10% of users actually know what they are doing).

My opinion is you will not be successful in retraining SolidWorks users. You are setting yourself up for a lot of trouble. If you do make the change you need a very strong and personality youself as a leader that can convince others to follow you and you will need higher management backing.

Considering you do not have expert level experience with Inventor I don't think you are prepared provide the level of leadership needed.

Matt, have you thought about picking up at least the free educational license of Inventor (watermarked prints) so at least you can play with the new gizmos? If you need an invite I can probably take care of that.

Mark, since I am a part time student and i work for a university I have an educational copy of Inventor 2010 on my home computer, thanks for the offer though. I use it at home and I spend most of my time working with FEA, dynamic analysis or building my 3d surfacing skills. Today I looked and could not find iLogic. I was excited to play with it so I will keep digging. At work the stuff required of me is fairly simple(in terms of what these software packages are capable of). Everything is one off for the most part and nothing I do, unfortunately, requires me to use these great features unless I make it, so im really not allotted any time to pursue them. I push at work to utilize what we have but unfortunately its like running on water most of the time:) I pushed for awhile to upgrade Inventor at work and I was handed SW(go figure). And i'm sad to say that im one of those with no training with Inventor or SW and its not likely that I will receive any in the near future.

You will find Solidworks and Inventor are VERY similar. Use this angle instead. With Solidworks you are paying for subscription to 2 products. With Inventor you are paying for 1 subscription for both Inventor and AutoCAD. Furthermore, there is competitive pricing available to "steal" away solidworks licenses from dassault.

As far as your autolisp dreams...not yet...not yet, but I based on conversations I have had in the last month or two it is something they are DEEPLY looking at (right now it only supports VBA, .NET programming, and macros). If I say anymore the men in black will come get me. As far as transition of users, Autodesk has a book for about 50 bucks that talks about the differences between the two programs for a user switching to Inventor which I have taught this class before as well; there only problem you will have switching users is some users are whiny about switching from what they know even if it exactly the same workflows with different buttons. You will also get users that will try and blow holes in your solutions no matter how insignificant to the process. Thats where it pays to have a good reseller on board for the transition.

Ok, thank you. That pretty much sums it up. I guess I can live with VBA, even though I hate that language.. maybe .NET.

Thanks!

I use autocad, Inventor, UGS and solidworks and I prefer solidworks to all of them. I think you will have a hard time trying to transition people over. SW has a few options to automate things. Of course you have macros but you can also create parts that are adaptive or based on inputs, spreadsheets etc. What industry are you in?

This is for furniture. Alot of why we use solidworks is for doing metal. I guess it uses an algorithm to calculate size of a part after a bend, which is really nice.

The biggest problem is that, well, besides having some units built in solidworks, and some built in Autocad, is that solidworks is pretty limited in the way of programming or creating your own commands etc. I've been able to mimick alot of solid works features through autocad with Autolisp, but some just can't be. However, like Mark said earlier, we're paying for two licences right now, which is also a pain.

In my opinion the two programs are essentially identical in functionality (especially considering the functionality that most users actually know how to use - my estimation is that only about 10% of users actually know what they are doing).

My opinion is you will not be successful in retraining SolidWorks users. You are setting yourself up for a lot of trouble. If you do make the change you need a very strong and personality youself as a leader that can convince others to follow you and you will need higher management backing.

Considering you do not have expert level experience with Inventor I don't think you are prepared provide the level of leadership needed.

Well thank you for a good, solid, and honest, opinion. What that says to me is that if a transition were to be made, it would need to be, perhaps, a slow, gradual transition, and I am willing to learn the program and perhaps teach it when the time comes.

As was mentioned in an earlier post I saw, it comes down to Money savings vs. productivity. Right now, the company is doing EVERYTHING to save money, and I'm on board with that. Besides, the nesting software (CNC machines) is autocad based.

Other things to consider are the import/export/conversion factor (this was also mentioned earlier), as alot of our units are done in solidworks, and it would really not be fun to re-do them and lose all mates and such.. however, again, it's a money thing, and right now.. a race against software companies.. however I am a huge fan of Autocad because of it's open database and, once you know how to use it, ease of use.

Also, solidworks is pretty new compared to autocad. I have faith in the industry standard. :)

Thank you.

What that says to me is that if a transition were to be made, it would need to be, perhaps, a slow, gradual transition, and I am willing to learn the program and perhaps teach it when the time comes.

however I am a huge fan of Autocad because of it's open database and, once you know how to use it, ease of use.

The new Inventor 2010 has sheet metal capabilities that exceed the functionality that SolidWorks can do. Next year, who knows...

I am not a fan of gradual transition. If Jimmy Carter had not gone for a dual metric/mile system transition we would be on the metric system in USA. Users will fight all the way when there is a choice. Always easier to stick with what you know. If you have no choice but to figure out new way....

I am not a huge fan of AutoCAD (and I consider myself a power user). If I couldn't run circles around AutoCAD with either Inventor or SolidWorks (for most stuff) I would change careers.

Yes, Inventor comes with AutoCAD and AutoCAD Mechanical included for free. If you are going to start learning one or the other contact your VARs for trial copies. Students (do you have any kids) can download the latest Inventor for free from http://engineersrule.org and register for free 13-month license.

The new Inventor 2010 has sheet metal capabilities that exceed the functionality that SolidWorks can do. Next year, who knows...

I am not a fan of gradual transition. If Jimmy Carter had not gone for a dual metric/mile system transition we would be on the metric system in USA. Users will fight all the way when there is a choice. Always easier to stick with what you know. If you have no choice but to figure out new way....

I am not a huge fan of AutoCAD (and I consider myself a power user). If I couldn't run circles around AutoCAD with either Inventor or SolidWorks (for most stuff) I would change careers.

Yes, Inventor comes with AutoCAD and AutoCAD Mechanical included for free. If you are going to start learning one or the other contact your VARs for trial copies. Students (do you have any kids) can download the latest Inventor for free from http://engineersrule.org and register for free 13-month license.

Well, actually I am in school, but only a community college taking some programming classes. (does that count?).

I ordered the 30 day trial of inventor.. lets see if I actually get time to play with it. I'll see how serious we are before I move too far with this idea. Thanks for the info.

yes you should qualify. You just need to go to that website and register. You will need a school email and to fill out some information. Also you can download the 30 day trial from the autodesk site without ordering it.

Well, actually I am in school, but only a community college taking some programming classes. (does that count?).

Yes, as Matt indicated. Any student of any age anywhere in the world can download Inventor Professional for free. The download installs as a 30-day trial, but if you register the software (free) you get a 13-month student license.

If your school issues edu email addresses it is faster to join the Autodesk student community. If not, there is a link on the homepage of the site with instructions for those who don't have edu email address.

Yes, as Matt indicated. Any student of any age anywhere in the world can download Inventor Professional for free. The download installs as a 30-day trial, but if you register the software (free) you get a 13-month student license.

If your school issues edu email addresses it is faster to join the Autodesk student community. If not, there is a link on the homepage of the site with instructions for those who don't have edu email address.

Sweet. I ordered the 30 day trial. I'll register it, and see how we do when I get free time (I don't get much!).

thank you all.

-Argv

I'm kind of late in this thread, but I've used Catia V5, Solidworks 2009, AutoCAD (from 2000 to 2010)and Inventor (2008, 2009 and 2010), and I dropped Solidworks as Inventor had a more User Friendly Environment.

I am not an Inventor Evangelist by any means, and I don't have the signature Block that JD has either, but within a day I was creating complex Hull Surfaces and Sheet Metal Components with Inventor as if it was my Primary Software.

Solidworks is nice, Catia has more high end surfacing tools, but my personal preference is Inventor, and the 2010 Version allows me to lay my Sheet Metal Hull Surfaces flat without additional add ons, (alot more bang for your buck).

My 2 cents, but I like Inventor, especially the Sheet Metal Funtionality.