Sheet metal assistance

cwazi_13

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, it seems everyone is always willing to give a lending hand.

Currently using SolidWorks 06, and was playing around with the surfacing and sheet metal features.

I'm currently working on a duct, and need to review duct in a flattened/unfolded state. I currently the following issues:

1) Images attached show two scenarios, both scenarios were made using the surface loft between two square section profiles, then using the thicken feature, rip on one edge, inserting bends on the sharp edges and finally unfolding the part, on the full square part it does this perfectly with no issues of producing a flattened section.

The problem comes when when I change one of the sketch profiles by adding in a large fillet, when trying to insert the bends it will remove the curved section of the part, refer to attached images. Is there a way to get around this?

2) I found the above method becomes impossible to work once all the surfaces are not planar, which as has forced me to use the loft bends function, which allows me to control the loft with only TWO sketches. However no guided curves are used to produce the loft (I need more control for the complex part I'm trying to model.) As well as this it doesn't allow me to use this function more than once in the modelling of a part, as I need to add flanges. Any tips on this?

Issues with this method are - limited control of loft, require estimated extension of flattened profile, as gap was required with feature, no flanges can be added that could be flattened.

3) Using the lofted bends I was able to get a flattened section with the above issue, however I couldn't seem to view the Bend-Lines (under the Flat-Pattern feature), can someone shed some light on why I can't view this when it is clearly on in the tree?

Note: This is just a much simplified model of what is actually needed to be modelled.

Sorry about the long post, didn't realise I had this many issues.

Cheers

Curved section issue.pdf

welcome. The issue as i see it is forming the actual part. the square section model can easily be bent into shape. The curved section however can not simply be bent, it needs to be formed. SW will not unfold "formed" parts. You can use them to create dies. If your duct is going to be curve driven you will probably not be able to unfold it. However if you just apply a fillet to the edges you should be fine. A variable fillet will probably give you the same result.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for your reply.

One of the sketch profiles is quite complex where it has to be done in 3D. Looks like I'll have to continue playing with the Lofted Bends.

where are these specs coming from? Is this part going to be made in the end? if so I dont see a good way without a forming die

where are these specs coming from? Is this part going to be made in the end? if so I dont see a good way without a forming die

The actual part will be formed with multiple hits, if this is a minimum run not a production part.

Ninety hits arrayed (for example), with the press brake die, will produce a nice smooth radius on the corners. A common sheetmetal practice.

The attached example is showing only six brake hits to form the radius.

Transition-Layout.pdf