Switching Computers & want to keep setup + where to buy 2007?

kellenhaskell

So at work im switching out computers and am going to be doing all my work on a nice new one. It has AutoCAD 07' (same version) installed but i haven't even opened it yet as i don't want to modify anything i'd rather just import it.

So on my list of things to back up i have:

-Plot Style Manager (all the .ctb and .stb files)

-My Profile (exported .arg file)

-My Hatch File (acad.pat)

-All my templates resaved as .DWT but in a backup file

-And than of course all my drawing files

But i wondered if there is anything that i missed? im pretty sure i got it all but didnt know if someone already had a list of things to remember when switching

Any custom line files? How about LISP routines you may have written or downloaded?

I would have cloned the drive and saved myself a lot of work. But what's done is done.

Nope no LISP routines, i never really learned those in class or in work. Prob should have but thats old news. Truth is i just got laid off, well not quite. More like my employer is going out of business

?Also i need to know where in ACAD (07) i would look to find my licensing information on my old computer? i need to copy down this code and name for future use.

The serial number, which you need, is on the back of the DVD case highlighted in yellow.

I believe a copy of your registration information should be saved in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AutoDesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\Admin\ACD2007ENURegInfo.html.

Awesome thank you that was just what i was looking for.

Also this is off topic but i'm interested in buying a 2007 possibly newer version of autocad licensed in my name, but can't find anywhere on the internet to do so. Is this because you always have to buy the new version?

I got laid off from a company thats going out of business but i still have a small demand of part time drafting to do for someone else. I need to get myself my own version so i don't restrict who i can and can't draw for down the road plus with being unemployed, i've got tonnnnnns of free time on my hands. Thanks for the help!

Check the autodesk website, they are offering (or were recently) free software for the unemployed

edit: heres the link www.autodesk.com/assistance

beware the software is the student versions, it will permanently place a watermark on every file you create or open with it, that will print "created with an autodesk educational product" you do not want to use this software for production work.

You can find a reseller or purchase a licenses for the autodesk software on the autodesk site. They retire products after 3 releases. which means they are still supporting 2008-2010, They will only sell you the newest release from what I know.

Alrighty ya i definately need a version that is not a student version, although i am downloading solid works to tinker around with it but for CAD i'll need a professional version. I found a site http://www.softblock.net/ that has ACAD 07 in there for like 109 or something...but it seems fishy

The company you work for is going out of business? Ask them if they would be interested in selling you their AutoCAD software/license. At least you'll know the "history" of the product. AutoCAD 2007 for $109 sounds fishy to me too.

If I were to buy AutoCAD say from someone on craigslist or eBay I'd demand to see digital photographs of everything the person had (CD/DVD, User Guide, etc.) and work out some sort of agreement that basically says if you cannot successfully load and activate the program you are entitled to a full refund.

Do you need a full version or could you make do with LT?

might try saving your .cui and your profile, .arg I believe, saves me time when reloading onto a new machine or what ever. Just pay attention to where that stuff goes.