total newb and no training help

You are trying to make it a 3D image? Not sure I follow you. You have a bunch of circles that appear to be a rudimentary flange. If you extrude them (and subtract out the "holes") you end up with a solid. But you say you don't want a solid.

nevermind got it! I am totally new to this I am at my friends trying to create some parts for my motorcycle. Only the second time trying to use this.

well to fill in what I am doing I am design some parts for a custom motorcycle I am building. I have a friend with access to a waterjet. I designed the parts in adobe illustrator and exported them as dxf files. However the flowpath software did not recognize the files so I am at another friends trying my hand at autocad mechanical 2010. He however has to be at work so he can not help me. I am not sure why flowpath is not recognizing the files so I thought I would try autocad.

yes I did get it correct I am finding it easier to work in 3d because many moons ago I went to college and got certified in 3d studio. but that was 16 years ago. Now then the thing I need to figure out is how to take the 3d image and make it 2d because I was informed the flowpath doubles the dimensions of 3d objects when converting so I now have to go from3d to 2d.

But you started in 2D!

There are several ways to extract 2D geometry from a 3D solid. These are some of the commands:

Flatshot

Solprof

Solview/Soldraw

Each has its pros and cons.

lol I know but I started over and did it in 3d using cylinders to recreate it. Like I said I am mostly lost. I am gonna try to figure this out darn it. I took his laptop home with me. I may drive you nuts with questions however I am sorry for that. The thing with the first one I did the 2d was bits and pieces and flowpath was not recognizing them for some reason. I do really appreciate any and all help. I plan on doing more with program.

For the next few days I won't have access to 2010. If you post a drawing file save it first as in AutoCAD 2000 or 2004. That way more people will be able to open the file and view it. You can do this using the Save As option.

Were you interested in having the object treated as a single entity?

yes it will be getting cut out of a larger piece of steel with a waterjet. will creating the piece and making it a block get the effect I am looking for?

If the answer to the question I asked is yes then I suggest that you use the REGION command followed by the SUBTRACT command.

I'm trying to remember your original drawing. I referred to it as a flange but it could have been a hub or a disc. Whatever you call it the object was comprised of several circles. Each circle was an individual entity. To combine these entities into a single entity (we are NOT talking a block here) we invoke the REGION command. At the prompt we select, in any manner you choose to use, all of the circles. AutoCAD will report back with the number of Loops extracted and Regions created. Follow this up with the SUBTRACT command. AutoCAD will prompt you to select the solids or regions to select from. You want to pick the outermost circle. Then you'll be prompted for the solids or regions to subtract. Pick all the circles within the confines of the outermost circle. AutoCAD will perform its magic on the circles. Now click on any part of any circle. What happens? Well what should happen is that everything is highlighted not just the object you clicked on.

From AutoCAD Help (your first line of inquiry):

"Regions are two-dimensional enclosed areas that have physical properties such as centroids or centers of mass. You can combine existing regions into a single, complex region to calculate area.

Regions are two-dimensional enclosed areas you create from objects that form closed loops. Loops can be combinations of lines, polylines, circles, arcs, ellipses, elliptical arcs, and splines. The objects that make up the loops must either be closed or form closed areas by sharing endpoints with other objects."

Does this help at all? Do you have any questions?

dude you rule that is exactly what I was looking to do! I also have a pentagram that will be the actual wheel center I am going to do that right now thank you so much. You are a huge help! While the help file gives the info when someone explains it in guy talk I get it better. You have done just that. thank you so much.

I'm glad I was able to provide the help you were looking for. If you don't have any further questions I'll just meander down the road a bit. Catch ya later dude. Peace out. :)