Is it worth upgrading from 2008 to 2010?

D-Zyne

I've heard of all kinds of problems for 2010. I think it'd be better to change over to 09 the latest until they fix the problems with 2010.

2010 is less problematic than 2009 was.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADMASTER1128

• ReMark

• Cad64

• DVDM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2010 is less problematic than 2009 was.

That is true, seemed like I fixed AutoCAD than drew with it.

Is there a way to reset the toolbar to be customizable like 2008? Can it be "simpilfied"?

The band across the top is called the Ribbon. The Ribbon has Tabs which are further divided up into Panels.

Can 2010 be "simplified". Yes (kind of). I have an article posted on the wall next to my work computer outlining the steps that need to be taken. Unfortunately, I'm at home for the next five days. I'll see if I can locate it and post a link to it here.

Does Autodesk not get the hint that we (CAD users) prefer the toolbars over the Ribbon?

Do you really think they care what we prefer? :P

Actually I prefer the keyboard over the toolbars or the ribbon. There are only a couple of toolbars that I use, (Layers, Styles, and a custom toolbar). Everything else is command driven. So Autodesk can do whatever they want with the interface, as long as I can type in the commands, I'm fine. :)

I wouldn't worry about the ribbon too much. You can easily go back to the classic look. By default Autocad has 3 different workspaces, 1 of them being AutoCAD Classic. There should be a toggle in the bottom right of your screen, but otherwise start the WSSETTINGS command.

A few commands that will be usefull to get back to normal:

RIBBONCLOSE (or RIBBON to turn it on)

MENUBAR (set to 1 to bring it back, it's not on by default)

-TOOLBAR (get your toolbars back via the command line)

LAYERDLGMODE (set to 0 for the classic layer pallette, set to 1 can be very slow)

While i can't see the classic toolbars dissappear for at least another 10 years, i have noticed (from 2009 to 2010) that Autodesk is making it more difficult to revert to the classic look. It's little things that had me scratching my head at first, and I guess they're hoping people will give up and use the ribbon instead.

While the ribbon is good for beginners and casual users, it's no good for boosting productivity (it's slow to respond and requires many more mouse clicks), nor is it any good for saving screen realestate (with the exception of cadmaster1128 that is ;) I guess that's where the problem was for Autodesk; most people don't really optimize their toolbars, so their screens just end up with a random splattering of toolbars.)

Also, I've noticed that after making any changes to your CUI, or loading a custom CUI, the ribbon likes to turn itself on for no good reason. At least the ribbon in 2010 is better than in 2009.

In saying that, I quite like the ribbon in Inventor 2010, but I never liked it's original interface.

The QAT (quick access toolbar, that little toolbar at the top left next to the big red A) is actually a very usefull addition.

In 2009 they had the menubar under the big A as well, which i really liked, but then in 2010 they removed that again, so I had to go back to having that turned on all the time. Not sure where they're going with that... am I expected to re-do my custom menus for the ribbon when they finally kill it completely?

All in all, the ribbon revolutionised my workflow: I gave it a fair chance last year with 2009, but found it so slow and cumbersome, I started modifying my PGP file with more and more single/double/tripple letter hotkeys, along with short LISP routines that would combine several commands, and memorizing all commandline commands.

As a result, I can now practically work in clean-screen mode, with the exception of the Layers toolbar, and am a lot quicker than I used to, using both my hands just as much, limiting mouse movements.

Transferring from one version of acad to the next (or one computer to the next) is just a matter of transferring my pgp and lisp file, that's it. If I have to work on someone elses computer, I'm not looking for where their toolbars are, because I'm working with the command line. This way, autodesk can experiment with the interface all they like, but as long as there's a command line I'm fine.

I think 2009 without service pack was a bit crappy, very useable with service pack, and 2010 without service pack better still.

In the screenshot below I have MdiTab18.arx loaded by the way, which I find a very useful addition. I love tabs.

Clean screen.jpg

Do you really think they care what we prefer? :P

Actually I prefer the keyboard over the toolbars or the ribbon. There are only a couple of toolbars that I use, (Layers, Styles, and a custom toolbar). Everything else is command driven. So Autodesk can do whatever they want with the interface, as long as I can type in the commands, I'm fine. :)

I mostly use the keyboard as well, but when I do use the toolbars I like to know where they are as compared to the Ribbon, which may change every year.

Does Autodesk not get the hint that we (CAD users) prefer the toolbars over the Ribbon?

Change is inevitable. Isn't that what they say? I've gotten somewhat use to the Ribbon only because I made a customized (2D workspace) version that has most everything I need on it. With the release of 2010 I believe AutoDesk has made customizing the Ribbon less problematic than what it was when first unveiled. Further enhancements are bound to be forthcoming with future releases.

Change is inevitable. Isn't that what they say? I've gotten somewhat use to the Ribbon only because I made a customized (2D workspace) version that has most everything I need on it. With the release of 2010 I believe AutoDesk has made customizing the Ribbon less problematic than what it was when first unveiled. Further enhancements are bound to be forthcoming with future releases.

So in away are you curious to see the new Ribbon and features in 2011?

No. I'm still dealing with the changes they made to 2010. Releasing an updated version of AutoCAD every year is a real PITA at times. I'd be happy if they did not release another version until 2012.

No. I'm still dealing with the changes they made to 2010. Releasing an updated version of AutoCAD every year is a real PITA at times. I'd be happy if they did not release another version until 2012.

I agree, or until the next file format change.