Mental Ray or VRay

nocturne00

Who thinks w/c of w/c is better? stick with metal w/c is shipped w/ 3ds or go with Vray

googled about this and they get a 50-50 score, sometimes VRay gets higher but bottom line is they can produce the same rendering quality(from what i read) only mental ray needs to be toggled more here and there in its settings to get a "real" real look.

Any Pros and Cons also greatly appreciated

I've used both and I don't really see any major differences in render quality in one or the other. Yes Vray is a bit more user friendly, but they both get the job done and can produce extremely high quality renders. I stick with Mental Ray though because it ships with Max, so I don't have to pay extra for Vray.

same thoughts here, why spend more if you already have it.

I started out with mental ray w/c rendered pretty good with just some novice settings on materials, then I saw some VRay renders w/c are a bit jaw dropping, then again they mention that mental ray can also achieve it, then again they wont teach it lol...

Mental Ray is a very complex rendering engine. If you want to master it, I would suggest getting a book, or some DVD training. I can recommend THIS book. Also, the books from 3DATS are great. I have the one for Max 8. There are also some great DVD titles at Digital Tutors. I have the "Mental Ray Tips and Tricks" DVD.

Thanks for the references. mental ray is really complex to need lots of books on how to use it. but then again, the rewards are priceless.

I have used both mental ray and vray on max8 before.

Here was my comments.

Mental Ray

Cost : FOC

Rendering Speed : Slow

Outcome : Realistic

VRay

Cost : I can buy another max8 (If you compare with the pricing 4 years ago. I think now only cost you 500~700USD)

Rendering Speed : Fast

Outcome : Realistic

What Vray can render Mental Ray can be done too. Just the matter of time.:wink:

thanks for the hint, mental ray does take some time to render, but then again I dont have Vray yet to compare it with :D. im trying to acquire a demo copy of vray ATM, whilst browsing I ran into a vray's latest devlopment, the VRAY RT i think, its something im trying to check right now if its worth the buck, it cost around $599, then a promotional price of $299,, shheeesshh. why didnt they just price it 299

Vray is faster than Mental Ray? :unsure:

I keep hearing people say that, all the time, but nobody ever provides any numbers to substantiate that claim. It seems to me that it's all just personal opinion. If you learn Mental Ray and then try Vray, you're going to say MR is much faster, because you know MR much better and you know how to get the engine to perform. On the other hand, if you learn Vray and then try MR, you're going to say Vray is faster, for the same reason. I don't believe that one is faster than the other. I think, if you learn how to tweak the settings, you can get the same speed from either one.

I stick with MR, because it ships with Max, and I've been using it for several years so I feel comfortable with it. I don't feel that it's slow at all, but it does have quite a learning curve, so newbies beware. :twisted:

Hie Cad64,

I'm Mental Ray user and I had try Vray free version from chaos group 4 years ago. With same model and setup only different render engine. But still honestly to say Vray was much more faster than Mental Ray.

And I'm agree with Cad64. If you choose Vray you have to learn all those material applying (setting etc) & rendering setup again.

Here was the link to vray http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/index.html

Please register yourself to download the v-ray. I didn't know whether was free permanent version or free trial. Cause they v-ray wasn't support my older version Max9.

I will try dig out my old tutorial from my house and post to here. (Can't promise whether I still have it or nope cause already 4 years + I never touch it) Then you guy only used MR & VR render see whats the different.

From my previous experiment rendering a same model.

Mental Ray took 8 minutes

V-Ray took 1.5 minutes.

This was the result of 4 years ago max8. So it may be changes for latest version.

Alright, I'm going to try Vray again. It's hard for me to believe that Vray can render 80% faster than MR, but I'll run some tests this weekend and post the results here. :wink: