Material Library Problems

spartan2x4

I have recently installed 3dmax 9 to use in my office. I've used max a little bit in the past, but have never come across this problem. In my material editor/browser, none of my materials are previewing. I cannot see what material I am selecting from the library. The only time I see the actual material is when I render the scene. It would be helpful and less time consuming to be able to see the material before I apply it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

What do you see in the material editor? Anything?

Are you using bitmap materials or procedurals?

What renderer are you using? Scanline, Mental Ray, Vray, other?

When I have the editor open, I have the usual options and material slots. In each slot is the sphere that is supposed to preview the material. The problem is that when I pick a material the material doesn't show up. The sphere changes color to the diffuse color of the material. For example, if I pick a brick pattern, I only get a red solid color sphere. It's like the map isn't linking somehow. I think I'm using bitmap materials....it's whatever is in the max material library. Same with the rendering...whatever the preset for max is that's what I'm using to render. I haven't played with these features too much because I can't get past the material issue.

Ok, so you're using the standard Max materials.

Yeah, I don't know if it's a bug or what, but to get the map to display correctly in the material editor, go to the "Coordinates" section and click "Environ". Then click back on "Texture" and the map will display correctly.

To get the material to show up on the model in the viewport, just click the "Show Map in Viewport" button.

Thank you....that did the trick. I am able to see the materials now in the material editor slots and in the viewport. Now I have another question regarding a similar problem. Is there a way to get the slot in the material/map browser to preview the material before I bring it into the editor? If I can get that figured out then I won't have to clutter up the editor trying to guess which material will work right. Thanks