AutoCAD 32-bit on Windows 7 RC 64-bit?

Jaelin

Hows the new AutoCAD working out?

Lol, on Sunday afternoon I got called in to work to prepare for a last minute "emergency" :glare: project on Monday. Then with the massive overtime I've had to work :bloodshot: that came with that project I have not even had time to load the ACAD-A. I hope that the project winds down by Saturday so I load the program then. Thanks again for it though. Will let you know how it goes. Later.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Jaelin

• designerstuart

• CADMASTER1128

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol, on Sunday afternoon I got called in to work to prepare for a last minute "emergency" :glare: project on Monday. Then with the massive overtime I've had to work :bloodshot: that came with that project I have not even had time to load the ACAD-A. I hope that the project winds down by Saturday so I load the program then. Thanks again for it though. Will let you know how it goes. Later.

Wow, sounds busy with a lot of sleepless nights. Take your time with installing it. Hope you enjoy it.

• 8 months later...

I need to install a 32 bit version of acad map2010 on my 64 bit os system. I already have the 64bit version installed but require the 32bit version in order to run a 32bit app within acad. there is no 32 bit app available at the moment. I know this could be done in previous versions even up as far as acad 2009 by modifying the msi, from my research online. Have not been succesful in finding info on doing the same thing with 2010. Really in a bind and need a solution. Can anyone shed some light on this please. I have to run a client supplied custom cad standards checker (32bit app) and am unable to do so with the 64bit os as it will not allow me to install teh 32bit acad. Your help is appreciated. Have a good day!

Chris

win7 64 os

core 2 3.16ghz

8GB, Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

acad2010 map3D 64bit (wishing to install 32bit)

Use XP mode with current 64bit install? I have not been successful installing the 32bit version. I'll give that a try. Thanks, I'll let you know how I make out.

I have a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of AutoCAD on my new (64-bit) computer and both run with no problem. I'm using Win7 Ultimate as my OS.

ok, almost the same, I'm running win7 professional. I'll restart and try again to install teh 32bit app. Sounds like there may be a glimmer of hope yet. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi ReMark,

you indicate you have 32 bit AutoCAD on your 64 bit OS ...

Is this AutoCAD 2010 32 bit or AutoCAD 2008 ? and is the 2010 the 64 bit version ?

The problem seems to stem from having 32 bit applications needing to run on AutoCAD. These will not work on 64 bit versions of AutoCAD and 2008 appears to be the last version that will run with any stability on a 64 bit OS.

While I can get 2009 x32 on a x64 bit OS installed it is so unstable that it is unusable. (and I guess that is why Autodesk prevent us from doing that !!!)

Cheers

I have AutoCAD 2004 (32-bit) running on my system. It was a test to see if I could do it. I also have the 64-bit version of AutoCAD 2010 running on it as well. I've had no stability issues with either program.

OK thanks, that is what I guessed ...

I have 2008 x86 on Windows 7 x64 which works well, but the applications I am running requires a x86 version as opposed to an x64 version ...

gw

I thought I would update you on what I have discovered ...

You can modify the Autocad installer to install a x86 version on a x64 OS, but I did have issues connecting to a network server. However, it did work.

I think it was on this thread though that someone gave the real clue away. Autodesk have already done this for us.

It is called Civil 3D x64. It would seem that Civil 3D requires some 32 bit components and Autodesk have not got round to updating these yet ... so to appease people they have done all of the modifications and install a x86 version on AutoCAD on your x64 bit OS.

You need to download the latest patch .... but it works and my x86 apps run on top of it as expected. Windows 7 reports the AutoCAD as a 32 bit app.

I did not need to modify anything and it also turns out my x86 apps recognised Civil 3D as a valid version.

There is also a start menu item called "AutoCAD Civil 3D as AutoCAD 2010", so you do not get all of the Civil palettes ...

HTH

• 1 month later...

This website, www longbowsoftware com, explains all the pitfalls of using AutoCAD 64bit compared to 32bit and also provides a tool which allows your AutoCAD 32bit to run on Windows 7 64bit.

• 1 month later...

Pitfalls to using AutoCAD 64bit? Come on, give us a break. The only pitfall is when someone tries to run a 32bit app on a 64bit machine and they don't know what they're doing. A little preparation goes a long way. Reminds me of those people who still insist on using a printer purchased in 1985 with an OS released in 2009.

• 2 months later...

I realize this thread is a tad outdated but I'm reading past postings in preparation for ordering a new computer and going to a 64-bit OS. ReMark, you state in the previous post, "The only pitfall is when someone tries to run a 32-bit app on a 64-bit machine and they don't know what they're doing". Does that comment cover Autolisp's also? I have a lisp called "Flatpipe" that was given to me and I run it quite often in my line of work. Is there a chance that this lisp will not run, currently on 32-bit, when I switch over to 64-bit? Thank you for your response.

eklektikus: Your lisp routine should still work. My only concern would be if you said it was created back in a much older release of AutoCAD. AutoDesk does occasionally make changes to autolisp commands and sometimes users find that old routines malfunction when they try to use them in a new release.

In regards to my comment re: 32-bit apps on 64-bit machines I'll cite but one example. If the user tries to load AutoCAD 2004 32-bit on a 64-bit computer in all likelihood Express Tools will not load. Also, Windows 7 will install 32-bit apps in a different folder than the one used for 64-bit apps and in the case of AutoCAD the support folder/file paths will be much different. Those used to the old paths will be surprised the first time they have to make any additions or deletions to them.

To be totally honest, ReMark, I have no idea in what release this "Flatpipe" lisp was created, who created it, or if there are "updates" to it. I know that it ran in the 2005 release that was "loaned" to me at my last job and in the 2010 release that I purchased when I went to "self-employed". There is still so much to learn regarding AutoCAD! Thank you for your prompt reply though.

The best advice I can give is try it and see what happens. If it does not work and the lisp file was not compiled then you can post it here and let some of our very knowledgeable lisp programmers take a look at it and see if they can pinpoint what the problem may be. However, we make no promises. Remember, we're all volunteering our time, efforts and knowledge. Get back to us either way and update us on your situation. I recommend you start a new thread in the appropriate forum. Thanks and good luck.

• 1 month later...

Remark, with all due respect, the issues you are talking about are due to enhanced security in Windows 7 in general, not that 32bit apps are toast on 64bit. Older versions of AutoCAD write to, what Windows 7 (and Vista) consider, sensitive parts of the machine like the HKLM registry and the Program Files folder which since Windows Vista requires elevated user access to do so. This was all brought about by the wave of virus's that hit Windows XP.

Also, about your comment that anyone running a 32bit application on 64bit Windows doesn't know what they are doing, let me give you an example - Microsoft Office 2007 only came in 32bit, and that runs fine on Windows 64bit does it not? Now are you saying that Microsoft themselves don't know what they are doing? The bottom line is that Windows 7 64bit comes in the box with FULL 32bit support, and in contrast, Windows 7 32bit comes in the box with FULL 16bit support.

Finally, regarding running LISP on 64bit Windows - LISP is an interpreted computer language, meaning that cares nothing about pointer sizes (64bit or 32bit), however, if your LISP code uses ActiveX (vla-) functions then you may have some performance hit because AutoCAD 64bit ActiveX runs out of process, whereas AutoCAD 32bit ActiveX runs in process. So ANY LISP code that works on 32bit WILL WORK FINE on 64bit, unless it uses the COM ActiveX API, in which case you may see a performance hit.

I hope this explains a little more the mystery of it all.

I think you have responded to a different thread than the one I posted to. In any event, I thank you for your concern and for providing those additional pieces of information. Have a sparkling day.