cursor disappears after selection

jsbrunt

I have several drawings that some times, after selecting several objects to move, and pressing space-bar to end selection, the cursor disappears. If I click for a base-point the cursor comes back but it is not where I need it for accurate placement.

I have developed a work around - I cancel command after blind pick, restart command, type P to select previous, then space-bar, then I can place accurately with cursor visible for both placement picks. A pain and time consuming.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. :) Thanks

Autocad 2009, XP

So this does not happen in every drawing just some drawings? Odd. What is the source of these drawings? have they been purged or audited?

Does it behave that way if you press "enter" instead of the space bar?

Good question. I went back and tried return and cursor also disappeared.

Clarification - I am selecting objects before entering command. I select, enter command, then Spacebar/Enter. Cursor disappears until next action, enter click or whatever.

:) Thanks for suggestion.

So this does not happen in every drawing just some drawings? Odd. What is the source of these drawings? have they been purged or audited?

Just a few out of the few dozen I am working in.

They are camels. This is a project some years old and many drafters with different versions of AutoCAD. There are 28 xrefs, all overlays. I ran audit a moment ago - 0 errors. Looked at purge - only unusual thing is a lot of $xx$_DOT blocks and *Dxxxx blocks. I hesitate to purge them without knowing if they might be necessary for something others are doing.

For clarification of actions that cause cursor to disappear see posting above.

Thanks for your interest. I am sure there is a solution. :)

Make a copy of one of the suspect drawings and purge the heck out of it. Purge any unreferenced regapps too. Then test it.

• 2 years later...

for autocad 2012:

change the cursor´s color back to it´s original color

(note: make sure that the color makes contrast with the background,

i.e don´t select a black cursor over a black background)

format/color/color index

I would suspect that the cursor would not be visible at all if it were the same color as the background. The OP does see his cursor so I'm assuming there is a contrasting color being used. However, this "visible" cursor sometimes disappears. Sounds like a graphics related problem on the surface but who knows, maybe it does have something to do with AutoCAD after all. Trouble is there is no system variable I can think of that would cause the cursor to suddenly disappear from view in the middle of a drawing session. I have the same problem using 2011 yet it doesn't happen in 2010.

• 1 year later...

F9 controls Snap. If you have snap enabled and are unfamiliar with how it works you might suspect your crosshairs are malfunctioning.