dimensioning radius and diameter in 2010

Fellas,

I am trying to get up to speed with this new release. For those of you who have launched 2010 you can see that the interface has changed and many new features have been added . Some tools are not where they used to be and although I can always rely on command line entry to dim a diameter or radius, I would like to know if anyone has found where the icon for these commands now resides?

To be perfectly honest I have my all the dimensions that I use in my tool pallet.

I also don't use the ribbon anymore as I found it to distracting. I've went back to the classic autocad pallet.

But you will notice that when you select the radius tool and use it the flyout menu name changes from Linear Dimension to Radius Dimension. It is not grouped under any specific group. If you know what I mean

The interface looks much different than the standard layout I have become so accustomed to over the years. Ribbons, steering wheels, the absense of toolbars upon startup, pull down menus gone or moved, etc. these are making 2010 a little cumbersome to work with at this point. Probably a reason for the changes so I want to get familiar with them instead of going back to my toolbars and command line entry right away. One really interesting feature is the directional model that appears when you are in 3D. Very handy to have when you are walking around a part getting all the features in place.

thanks again

• 1 year later...

If you use the quick properties menu goto dim overide and enter %%c

The closed brackets will maintain the correct size if it is stretched.

%%c = diameter symbol

%%d = degree symbol

Ok this is an easy way, but not verry quick if you have tot do 100 dimension.

Isn't ther a toggle key or something faster?

You can use the 'qselect' option to highlight your dimensions and then enter %%c as before. This will update all your dimensions whilst maintaining the correct value attached to them.

DDM64, you may know this already but if you weren't aware, you're able to have the traditional toolbar set-up if you don't like the ribbon at the top. Near the clock at the bottom right of your screen is a small cog icon called Worspace Switching, fly this out and choose the AutoCAD Classic setting.

My business partner and I have tried hard to find any productivity benefits in the ribbon format and we can't find any. It was the dashboard a few years ago and now the ribbon and I'm sure they'll keep shuffling things around year after year. What's also annoying about the ribbon is that they've altered the drop-down menus which all go back to normal under the Classic setting.

I'm probably a but more adapted to the ribbon now because I use inventor 2011, after using this for several months then going back to autocad the ribbon actually works quite well especially with the 3G commands I find