2D to 3D conversion

3Dsniper

I would definitely get rid of the surfaces and create the model out of solids. Did you watch those video tutorials that I gave you the link to?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3Dsniper

• Hoozin

• Cad64

• JD Mather

So, I really have no idea what it is, but it appears to be coming along just fine :)

its half of a rifle magazine, but as you can see it doesn´t have a top or bottom..

I don't understand why you are using surfaces to create such simple geometry but you can use the Thicken command to get solid faces.

The reason he has surfaces is I think not knowing any better.

3DSniper: If you extrude a closed polyline (or a region), you get a 3D solid. If you extrude an open polyline, or a line at all, you get a 2D Surface. If you were to go back to your original line drawing, and create the walls with their actual thickness in 2D, and extruded those walls, you'd get a 3D solid for each wall, and you'd have a bit more depth to your work. It's not a terribly complicated model, so it probably shouldn't take you too much time.

It's just occured to me why you probably can't get your top or bottom to extrude actually. When you extrude a closed polyline, it knows to extrude perpendicular to the plane it's on. I'm not sure that the computer automatically knows what direction to extrude the line into surfaces without changing the UCS. It may, but I almost never make surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

hi.. im a new autocad 2008 user... hope you dont mind me asking anything particularly about LAYERS... how to do it and when to do it... please help me.. any contribution will be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Well, doing a bit of searching could probably help you out, but Layers are generally ways to keep yourself organized in a drawing. A lot of organizations/businesses/clients will have layers structures that they'd require be used.

For example, when doing a model for shipboard equipment, we have layers for bulkheads, decks, equipment, etc. along with layer standards for naming, colors, linetypes, line thicknesses.

The more simple answer for you though, is that you use another layer whenever you have a group of objects or geometry that you want to be able to control seperately (again, dealing with colors, linetypes, thicknesses, and most importantly, when you want to be able to see it and when you don't).

Here's a couple FAQ links that might help you with working with layers, though not so much about "when do i want a new one?" as that's mostly a question of policy and preference.

New Layer Creation

Changing Details on Locked Layers

There's also a couple beta FAQs that look pretty cool, but I can't even see them so I won't link them :)

Edit: This could definitely have it's own thread, but I didn't feel like ignoring the question because it was posted in the wrong place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Maybe what you need just the tool to help convert 2d views into 3d solids automatically.

You can visit the site to get what just you want.

Reconsprite 2D to 3D converter

You can search it in google

Unfortunately, this product can now work with AutoCAD 2008 or 2007

you can try in AutoCAD2008, if it can help you, I will update it to 2009 version.

You can contact me through the email addr on the website.

Richard Fu

• 1 year later...

i just want to know how can i used my own designs of walls,windows,doors,furnitures,etc. which i could insert it from my other projects without repeatedly doing another set of it?

how can i put my designs of this in tool palette as a template so i can used it at any times...thanks

ian,

I think most of what you're looking to do can be found in the autocad help file under Customize Tool Palettes, so if I were you I'd start there.

Separately, I'd have a hard time believing this long-since-dead thread is really associated with what you're looking for, I'd suggest taking a look at the help file and then posting a fresh thread in the appropriate section.

Good luck,