Converting a drawing from Metres to MM

Danz

Hi,

I have had a drawing sent to me that is drawn to be 1 unit = 1 metre

Can i change the drawing to be in millimetres?

Im sure I have read somewhere about scaling it but being a newbie im not sure how to do this and cant find where id read it on the web.

Any help is appreciated

thanks

Type UNITS and check what it is set to. If it is Metres, then change it to MM and it will ask if you want to scale the objects, say yes.

If UNITS is set to MM, then you will need to scale the drawn information. so select all (CTrl + A) and then scale by a factor of 1000.

thanks for the reply, will check tomorrow when back aat work.

I had a look at the units from the drop down menu, it was set to metres but when i changed it it to MM it didnt prompt me to scale the objects

It all depends what the drawing is of, whether you will be sharing the information with other companies.

We regularly use mapping data, and we have had many problems occur when users scale the maps from metres to millimetres.

So my advice is, yes you can (using the method above) BUT take care when doing so... it might impact other files :)

The file is a floor plan of a shop, only other people using the files will be our shop fitters. this is the first time i have had to convert a file as all the other plans we have received have been in millimetres to begin with, so hoping it wont effect anything else.

Guest Alan Cullen

Generally, in the architectural field and associated fields, I find that sticking with your prefered method of units works fine. In other words, if you are civil or surveying, then stick with metres, because at the end of the day, all set-out has to be done on a mapping grid of some sort, and that mapping grid is metres.

If on the other hand you are in the (heaven forbid) architectural league, then you have to co-ordinate with the civil engineers to pick a base point that all consultants will accept as the re-scale base point. Then rescale the whole lot up by a factor of 1000.

This is a very common problem, when working between disciplines.

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for the replies from last night.

I checked out the drawing again today and scaled it by 1000. This seemed to of fixed the issue by allowing me to work in milimetres.

However, i found another issue with drawing. None of my measurments were matching what was on the drawing, for example they have a wall that was measuring 6 metres but when i measured it was only coming out at 4.8 metres.

I think what has happened is that they have supplied me a drawing that they have scaled in model space to 1:125 which was originally drawn in metres.

Am I right in thinking that i need to scale it to be 1:1 to get the correct size and then scale by 1000 to convert to millimetres?

I may be way off track here and to be honest a bit lost. If that is correct how do the scaling to get it back to the 1:1 part.

Apologies if i didnt make any sense

:-)

This is why I wish people would just use the Units and be done with it.

Assuming that it's just a scale issue: 6m appearing as 4.8m is scaled down to 80% in model space. To scale it back, scale by a factor of 1.25 and you'll get back to the original scale. Then scale by 1000 to get everything in milimeters.

I have to say though, that makes less sense to me than most other things I've seen today.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I have the same problem. I need to convert from meters to millimeters and I've done what you've said. But now I need to scale it to 1:50 on A1 paper. I this possible ?

Hello,

I have the same problem. I need to convert from meters to millimeters and I've done what you've said. But now I need to scale it to 1:50 on A1 paper. I this possible ?

You need to set up an A1 border and titleblock in paperspace (Layout Tab) inside the border create a viewport and scale to 1:50. See THIS.

• 8 years later...

The command you want is "-DWGUNITS", it gives you a string of prompts to make choices from so read the prompts carefully. It does all the conversion for you (so long as you enter the correct responces)