What about the Vostro 1720?

TryingThingsOut

Hey guys, got a bit more money now so now I'm thinking of something a bit better... What about the Vostro 1720?

http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/business/Laptops/laptop-vostro-1720/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-vostro-1720&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1

Processor

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

LCDs

17.0 inch WXGA+ Anti-Glare LED Display

Memory

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz, 2 DIMM

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9600M GS 512MB

Price: $1100 (before taxes, etc)

Spec's look decent enough, I use CAD '05 on my Thinkpad™ laptops, '07 on desktops.

All older, spec's older too. All work fine. All XP Pro SP3.

My Thinkpad™ laptops have 14" screens, crystal clear.

This is for portability. I hated carting the larger 17" screened laptops I had in the past, this shoulder, the other shoulder, back 'n forth. Plus, the battery charge was shortened somewhat to power the larger LCD screens.

nice one reMark, Core i7 processor and a quadro for GPU. actually that had a pretty good price compared to the Alienware models, most with those specs run to about $4000 up.lolz.

There is always one frustration with laptops on those specs, battery life will almost always never last for more than an hour

Heh, I don't really care for battery life. 95% of the time I'm sure I'll find a plug somewhere. The laptop will be 80% at my home, 20% at school.

But yeah, what do you guys think of the Vostro 1720? (The model on the far right)

Or something that is int he $1200 range or so

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Vostro 1720 shares memory with the graphics chip. Heavy duty work will cause a performance hit. Other than that it should be fine for 2D work.