Viewports over viewports?

myself

Hello there, im sorry if this is not the correct place to make this question but its my first time here so im not really aware of where and how to use this site.

My doubt is related to viewports, i know how to creata e a viewport over a viewport by creating two regions and then subtract them to create a hole inside the larger one, althou i would like to know if its possible later to change the position of that all or even create a new one, so i have to goo all that way back by creating all the regions and subtract them? this seems to me really crazy.

i would be pleased if you will help with this question once im in the middle of a project where im gonna need it really much, thank you.

well, thank you very much for your help, im gonna try it that way, although in a firts impression it didnt look to me so easy to do it, at least i tried to bring the small viewport to front but it only show up the boundaries of the viewport and not the the window to the model space.

I really though that i had seen something like just draw a circle or any other object inside a viewport and then creat a viewport that i could move and stretch without any problems, i must have dreamed with that :D

My bad.

I have just opened CAD and tried it out, and doesnt work. I could have sworn I did this before.

There are a few different ways to do it though, wipeout in modelspace, and then control in the layers. VPCLIP, although I am not sure if this can be inverted so you would have to cheat and create a polyline first going around the outside of the main vp, and then cutting in to hide the part you want to hide....maybe this doesn't make sense. Ask if you want some more help.

OK, 1 last try. Rather than worrying about VPCLIP and all that rubbish. Create a new viewport, then create a new polygonal viewport and trace around the other rectangular viewport. Hope this is ok.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

I just figured out how to cut a hole in a viewport--- actually, to create a polygonal viewport on top of your existing vport where you want the hole. It won't immediately hide what is behind it in the viewport beneath. First in paper space, enter:

MV

Select Polygonal by typing P

Draw your "hole" with a closed Polygon

Click inside your polygon to enter model space

Pan to a location in model space where there is no linework

Return to Paper Space

Lock Viewport

Enter the command "Wipeout"

It will ask you to select a polygon

Select your new polygonal "hole"

It will ask you if you would like to erase the Polygon,

Enter N for no. This will leave the outline, but everything inside that viewport will "wipeout" what is beneath it on the larger viewport behind.

FOR IMAGE FILES:

I realized that if you have an image file that you want to wipeout a portion of,you will need to perform the wipout in model space. At least using 2006, this seems to the case. Use the dropdown Draw menu, select wipeout, and then draw the polyline around what you want wiped out. Return to paper space and that area should now be blank. ( I had imported a raster image and tried wipeout in paper space. It seemed to work until I tried to print, then it still showed the image on the viewport behind it. When I did the process in model space, the part of the image I did not want to print was not visible---which was my intention.)

Hope this helps someone!:)

madriverstudio,

Why do you need to create a viewport in the begining? You can do the same thing if you just create regular polygon, then just wipeout the polygon. No need to make viewport, move to empty space,lock viewport,etc...

Also if you don't' want the wipeout "outline" to show up, type your _wipeout command, then "F" for frames, then "OFF". If you want it show up again, pick "ON" instead.

I can get part of this to work in both model or paperspace (with the exception that you can't create a viewport in model space, at least not with Civil 3D) but no matter what I do it still won't do fully what was said that it would do. It will blank it out on the screen but it still shows up on my plot. Is there a way to get this to blank it out on the plot?? This is a neat idea and I actually ran into an instance today where I could use something like this but can't get it to work. Any Ideas?? I'm using Civil 3D LDC.

Biggest issue with wipeouts is usually a draw order problem. Select the underlay viewport and send it to the back. Then select the overlay viewport and send to front. This will leave the wipeout sandwiched between them.

Hello there, im sorry if this is not the correct place to make this question but its my first time here so im not really aware of where and how to use this site.

My doubt is related to viewports, i know how to creata e a viewport over a viewport by creating two regions and then subtract them to create a hole inside the larger one, althou i would like to know if its possible later to change the position of that all or even create a new one, so i have to goo all that way back by creating all the regions and subtract them? this seems to me really crazy.

i would be pleased if you will help with this question once im in the middle of a project where im gonna need it really much, thank you.

I think regions are your best bet. You can use union and subtract on the region that has been made into a viewport, and hopefully once set up you don't have to do too much else with them.