Solidworks [Turning camera (freeview)]

Sebex

Hi all,

I'm studying Industrial Design and I use the program called solidworks to design stuff.

If you press the scroll wheel on your mouse you can freely rotate the camera around the object to see it from all sites easily.

But I got a mouse at home without a scrollwheel you can press.

Can I assign a key for this option? Like if I press 'F' I can rotate the camera freely with my mouse?

thanks,

Sebex

sebex. on my computer i have the wheel setup to zoom in/out. my wheel also moves left/right and i use that to pan left/right. I have it setup to use the space bar to initiate the 3d orbit command. You can easily setup any key/button you want to perform these operations. I dont remember right off hand where to get to the options but its either the tools menu, then Options. or Tools menu, then User Preference

haven't found it yet, I got a student version (2008 ) though, maybe it has different settings.

Can't find anywhere the new one, but guess I can't talk about that here.

Hope you can look up how to do it.

so what is the issue exactly. You can use 3d orbit at all or you cant get it to work with some HotKey? I have 3d orbit setup so I use my space bar to turn it on/off.

Did you find the Tools>customize menu? The Keyboard tab on that pop up window has a Category drop down box. When you first open it I believe it always defaults to Edit. Change it to either View or All Commands(i would go with View). If you click in the shortcut box to the right of whatever command you want you can then enter a keyboard key to assign to this operation. If there is another operation that is already using that it will ask you before changing. I added a screen shot.

swoption.JPG

Ye I found the option, and it does work.

Only I prefer just as the mouse middle mouse buttons works (which i don't have...)

So if you press spacebar the 3d orbit mode is on and you can move it with your mouse as long as you got spacebar pressed.....

so if you release the camera stops moving.

I think there is a little confusion. Are you trying to set up cameras or just rotate the part? In motion studies you insert cameras into the model and you can move cameras around. You arent talking about that right?

For the way i have it set up i press the space bar(dont hold it) then 3d orbit is on, i can rotate the object around. When i press the space bar a second time it turns 3d orbit off. The key board buttons arent designed as momentary and I dont know if you can use them for that.

ye I mean rotating the part, (which is almost the same...)

but ok, if it isn't an option to hold the key then it's ok.

I can live with it.

thanks though