Assembly Creation Error

skippy

Hi,

Hope someone can help! I am using Solidworks 2008 and when I go to create a new assembly I get the error message, 'an attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end.' This also happens if I have a part open and ask solidworks to create an assembly from the part.

This is only new and I have been using the program without a problem for nearly a year. I have tried re-installing and it made no difference.

I have seen this relating to a lot of other programs by doing a goolge search, but no responses similar to mine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

S

Forgot to add that this doesn't crash Solidworks I can go on editing a part, opening a new part etc, even an existing assembly is no problems. however when I go to exit solidworks nothing happens and I have to do a force quit.

Thanks

Have you made or modified any template files? when you go to create a new document and you click the advanced button what do you see. It sounds like either you have an issue with the template file. or possibly an overwrite issue with a filename.

Not that I know of, the advanced button has the usual options for assembly and part. I have removed the program again and will re-install tonight... Will look in to those options though.

under your tools>options menu and on the System Options tab you something called Default Templates dn File Locations. These dictate where SW looks for your template(part,assembly,drawing) files. The file locations has a drop down box with lots of different documents.

but if this error happens randomly and not every time id say it could be an issue with the file location of the parts you are using for your assembly.

Just so you know if you start a new assembly or part file or drawing for that matter. You can make changes to these options, go to Save As and change the save as type to a template file. If for some reason when you were saving a part you accidentally saved it as a template file you may have caused the issue.

I have received the error you say when trying to insert a part into an assembly when the part was created within the assembly. I have to make sure while editing the part is Save As, check the save as copy box and save my part, then exit part edit mode and save the assembly and this seemed to work for me.

let me know if the issue is still there after the reinstall.

Well I reinstalled and started up to find that if I go to file/new and the templates tab and click on assembly it gives me the same error message. Likewise if in the part I click make assembly from part.

But if I go file/new and the tutorials tab and click on assembly it works and I can add in parts and mate etc as I like. The program also exits smoothly.

If I look under the system options tab and File locations/document templates and check the templates in this folder none of them have been saved recently, so I don't think I have changed them accidentally.

So I can get around it and keep working which is a relief, but still have no idea what has changed!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

S

interesting. I dont have a tutorials tab on my file/new menu. I would go to your help file and read up on creating a new template file. Its really simple to do. Once you start a new assembly using your tutorial method do file>save as and save it as a template file(make sure you rename it something else). It will then show up on the advanced(template) tab when going to create a new file. See if you get the same error this way.

Have you had any service packs installed? what version do you currently have?