windows menu alt+w no drawing list

MartinSomerville

hey. i thought i put this up before but can't find.

Does anyone know how I can get the drawings in the list again with alt+w. I use this often and it's been taken out in 2010 for no reason that I can see.

Thanks

Martin

Using 2009 and pressing Alt + W I get the drop down menu list (under the Menu Browser button). In 2010 I get nada.

In 2009 to get a list of drawings I select Recent Documents. In 2010 my Recent Documents show up automatically in the right hand pane of the drop down from the Menu Browser.

Martin:

I poked around in the CUI and took a look in the following location: Customise tab > Keyboard Shortcuts > Sortcut Keys. On the right-hand side under Shortcuts there appears a list of every shortcut key-combination that comes standard in AutoCAD. Alt+W is not a listed shortcut. There are only two shortcuts that utilize the Alt key and both make use of a function key. Did someone customize your previous setup?

hi mark

it's possible someone did as the alt+w in 2010 brings up window menu drop down.

What I'm hating is that there are no drawings in the drop down - only cascade tile etc. I found that really handy - thumb on alt. index on w..to change the drawing. I don't why they would take it out. having it as an option, as it wasn't doing any harm??

Does your dropdown show the drawings?

There is the quick drawing thingy but I find that a little slow. alt+tab short is little hit and miss.

ah well

thanks

martin

I'll try to describe what I see for you in my unaltered version of AutoCAD 2010.

When on click on the down arrow to the right of the big red A (the Menu Browser) a window comes up that is divided into two sections vertically. On the left side are all the use options like New, Open, Save, etc. On the right it says Recent Documents. Under that are a drop-down list labelled By Ordered List and a button for changing the size of Icons. Below these two items is a list of nine drawing files. At the bottom right hand corner of the window are the words Options and Exit AutoCAD. What is it that you are seeing?

Thanks for your replies Mark

I use classic (i should have mentioned)

I've attached a picture. In 2009 there were a list of drawings in this menu which I found handy...but gone as can be seen in 2010.

What you described may be alternate for me if I can shortcut key to the open document part of the A corner menu.

Cheers

Martinnnn

2010-altw.jpg

I switched to AutoCAD Classic and clicked on the Window drop-down menu after opening two drawings. Both drawings are listed under the last item Arrange Icons. Like I said previously, I've haven't cutomised 2010 so this behavior is straight out of the box. Maybe you have a case of clickitis.

Just for giggles I tried that Alt+W shortcut you mentioned in AutoCAD Classic mode. It works.

Maybe you have a corrupted install. Have you tried a Repair?

thanks. cool. now I know it's just a me problem...i'll have to investigate..

clickitis!! sounds like an almost horrible sexually transmitted disease. I'll be sure to stay away from people for a while..

I had a boss with a bad case of "clickitis". He once had over 50 instances of Windows Explorer opened on his desktop. Then he wondered why his computer was running so slow.

Did you try the Repair option yet? Should be on your DVD.

ohhhh...."c" "k". got it.

Will try the repair. Hopefully they reappear but not end of world (just small annoyance).

Thanks for your help Mark

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

hey mark. I did a repair and yep, all looks good now thanks.

now I hope it stays when I start adding the office std stuff to it :)

thanks again

...actually, it's gone again when I set to office profile. I think I didn't need the repair after all, it's a profile thing which is weird because it never affected 09. When I set profile to initial acad the drawings appear in the window dropdown..

Something to sort out with the customising acad manager here.

thanks

(edit):..and regarding the alt+w shortcut, I think that's a std windows thingy to access menus?? alt underlines some letters in the menus. Hitting that letter with alt displays the associated menu :)