silly question. How do I change thickness?

zug

Hi,

I am really struggling with google sketchup. It looks simple but I just cannot understand how to change the thickness of the materials. I am trying to design a computer case but I just cant figure it out....

Thanks!

I understand that, basically I am drawing a box so I draw my base. then I extend it upwards so I have a 3d box in effect. However I then want to change the thickness of the outer walls, how could I do this?

I understand that, basically I am drawing a box so I draw my base. then I extend it upwards so I have a 3d box in effect. However I then want to change the thickness of the outer walls, how could I do this?

Can't you push/pull on the side of the wall to thicken it?

one easy way would be to create the outer box then use offset or draw a smaller rectangle on the bottom of the case to make the thickness of the material then push into the box which would do all four walls and the top in one go. Then fill the base with another rectangle if you want that solid.

I am searching the forums here looking to do something similar with AutoCAD -

I am drawing .25 steel thick plates - making steel track bar, if anyone can help.

I will keep searching the threads till then - thank you -

• 4 weeks later...
I am searching the forums here looking to do something similar with AutoCAD -

I am drawing .25 steel thick plates - making steel track bar, if anyone can help.

I will keep searching the threads till then - thank you -

you got a sketch as to what you want. I can explain but I don't know what a steel track bar is.:?

Hello bbankston - thank you for the reply - however I was able to find out how to do this.

Essentially I wanted to draw just a peice of steel - like 4" H x 36" L and .25" Thickness.

Sort of using steel track bar but in an L shaped. I also might not be using the proper terminology for the steel - Either way - thank you

Hello bbankston - thank you for the reply - however I was able to find out how to do this.

Essentially I wanted to draw just a peice of steel - like 4" H x 36" L and .25" Thickness.

Sort of using steel track bar but in an L shaped. I also might not be using the proper terminology for the steel - Either way - thank you

I think you are looking for a steel angle.

Just search your component browser, place the standard angle you want, edit the component and push/pull it to the length you wish.

There are tons of other standard steel shapes in the Construction tab as well.

Browser01.jpg

Browser02.jpg

It looks like your using a new version of autocad -

Although Steel Angle is exactly what I was looking for :) thank you my friend.

I guess I will have to try something close to what you told me but with AutoCAD 2006

Sorry for any confusion but I am using SketchUp.

Edit: However, you could find the angle you want then export a 2d dwg to Autocad.

• 1 month later...
It looks like your using a new version of autocad -

Although Steel Angle is exactly what I was looking for :) thank you my friend.

I guess I will have to try something close to what you told me but with AutoCAD 2006

I use an add-in called stl in my AutoCAD 2008. It will place the steel-profile into my drawing which I can then manually make look 3D or use rotational-views for the shop to figure out what I want to do.

STL is a menu'ing addin written by Al Rogers back in 1998 (I have version 1.1) .. I don't know if there is a newer version around .. I'll have to do some google-searching for it for you if I can't find the original .zip file on my computer ... and if I can't upload it to this thread.