Help with multi sub objects on angled faces?

ironman

So here is my problem...

I render interiors of rooms with many angled walls. I draw my rooms in autocad, 3d them in autocad, then import them into 3ds max (version 6). I usually draw each wall on a different layer, then add materials to them in Max, and i rotate the gizmo so the material lines up with each wall.

To speed up my process, and avoid putting each wall on a different layer, I wanted to try using a multi sub object. I just started experimenting with this, and i noticed that when i put materials on angled walls (say 45 degrees off axis), the material gets stretched out.

Is there a way around this? Every tutorial i've seen on multi sub object shows a room with 90 degree angles...

I've also tried UVW unwrapping, which works, but i want to be able to add a material, not just a map.

If you cant tell, i am fairly new to 3ds max...please be gentle, and thanks for your help!

Here is an example of what i'm talking about...in the image i posted, the bricks you see on the left are at the correct scale...meanwhile, the bricks in the center, on the angled wall, are stretched out...

test.jpg

Altho, I should say that the tutorial you suggested DID help me learn how to work with UVW unwrapping :)

And the tutorial I suggested didnt help me with what i wanted to do. So you are saying there is no solution to my problem?

No, there is a solution. Just UVW map your walls. :thumbsup:

I think I understand what you were trying to do with the Multi Sub-Object material. I think you were trying to use the same brick texture in the various slots of the material and then manually line them up using the individual material offsets? The problem is that when you try to lengthen the wall by stretching it out, the texture will get distorted. That's what's happening on that one face. If you map your walls with the UVW map modifier, the texture will line up automatically and perfectly across all the walls.

Mapping UV's is probably my least favorite thing to do, but unfortunately, it is necessary. But for something as simple as a few walls, it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to do it.