x ref

davebate

While I can understand sharing a drawing as an Xref would you really want two people editting the Xref itself? Seems slightly dangerous to be. Anyway, to my knowledge, using plain AutoCAD, two people cannot edit the same drawing at the same time.

my recollection of it was that you book out obects within the xref and then that solved the problem therfore it was save for more than one person to work on the same drawing unless this feature has now dissapeared ? and book them back in once edit process was finished

Which drawing are we talking about being editted? Not the Xref I hope.

It is my understanding that if you and I are subcontractors on a job (let's say you're responsible for the HVAC and I for the electrical) the architect would send us a drawing of the building layout so we could Xref that in to our drawing. Thus, we don't have to draw the building layout all over again. We draw what is pertinent to our speciality (HVAC and electrical). But I certainly would not change the architect's drawing. Why would I? I think the architect would get mad if I did.

I am not familiar with the term "book out". Could you be referring to the WBlock command?