Why is my drawing so big (mb)

Nick-H-

I have a drawing that was about 7mb, ive got rid of 100s of layers and got it down to 4 and removed all blocks etc... purged it all and its 22mb now

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick-H-

• CJJ

• Dipali

• Cadologist

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is huge for a CAD drawing, I am guessing you just have a TON of entities in the drawing. Strange that it went up in size after purging, should go the other way. Possibly removing the blocks (assuming you exploded them or something) could create a ton more entities, thus the size of the drawing increasing. If you have bound an XREF into a drawing directly, that will heavily increase the file size.

Im using 2007, and yes there was alot of blocks that got exploded, the drawing is going to become and xref for another drawing so it shouldnt be to bad i hope

That drawing is massive, do me a favor, go into modelspace and window the ENTIRE drawing and post up how many entities are listed. You will see the total in the properties pane (at the top) and it will say "All (######)". I am just curious as to have a drawing that size you must have in the hundreds of thousands of entities, if not even more (possibly).

I have a drawing that was about 7mb, ive got rid of 100s of layers and got it down to 4 and removed all blocks etc... purged it all and its 22mb now

if you have 'save as version 2000' set in your options, than it can happen. change it to save as 2004 & see what happens....

I'm going to butt into this since I am having similar problems.

I have recieved multiple bases from a survey company and gone through to clean them up. Now I have purged removed any un-needed xrefs (and datalinks) run audits and everything else I can think of. One file is 7.8mb and anouther is only 0.5mb.

The larger one only has 442 entities and I have done everything I know to clean it out.

Could someone suggest what else to do. I am using CAD 2010

Thanks and sorry for butting into this.

yes try downgrading the drawing to an earlier vesion as suggested

no not to ealrier version. if you have it set as save as earlier version this can happen. it happened with me in past & when i changed the default to 2004 instead of 2000 the size decreased.

so what i was saying was go to save as higher version.

As far as I know, creating blocks is a method of conserving space within a drawing (besides numerous other benefits), so EXPLODING them is likely to make your drawing bigger

btw - I hope you kept a copy of the original before you started. Carrying out such operations on a drawing you should always make sure you've got a copy you can go back to if it all goes haywire!

Desiree-

It's hard to say what else it may be, not knowing what all you've done..

I'll suggest some typical, hard to find stuff:

-layer filters. Delete with the "filters" command.

-registered applications. Remove with the "-purge" (not "purge") command

-scale lists. Delete with the "-scalelistedit" command. (again note the hyphen, if you have a lot the "scalelistedit" command will lock up the drawing)

-blank text & mtext. Zero length lines. "wblock" selectectable items can clean those out.

Desiree-

It's hard to say what else it may be, not knowing what all you've done..

I'll suggest some typical, hard to find stuff:

-layer filters. Delete with the "filters" command.

-registered applications. Remove with the "-purge" (not "purge") command

-scale lists. Delete with the "-scalelistedit" command. (again note the hyphen, if you have a lot the "scalelistedit" command will lock up the drawing)

-blank text & mtext. Zero length lines. "wblock" selectectable items can clean those out.

I have deleted all unused layers with the filters comand

Ran the -purge and purge

Reset the "-scalelistedit"

I don't know how to do the last one you have in the list however....

None of these has helped the file has not changed sizes.

When you run the-purge command give the Regapps option a try. This will definitely increase file sizes. We've had as many as 153,000 regapps in files we received when we worked with an architect. Ugh what a pain in the keester.

Oops nevermind. I just noticed someone else suggested this. I overlooked it in the first read through.

-Did you turn on and thaw all layers? (sorry have to ask the obvious questions..)

-Then zoom to extents, there may be objects "out in space"

-turning qtext on will allow you to select blank text. But not mtext.

-you could try an "erase" "all" then remove selectable.

-a wblock of all selectable items to a new file often can eliminate unpurgeable stuff

• 3 months later...

I got ahold of that "SPURGE" add on that’s floating around the net, seems to have helped me big-time on some huge files. Can’t remember now where I managed to dig it up from but im sure if you search for 10 minutes it should manifest somewhere. Super Purge is shareware but offers a free trial period of as long as you feel is fair...

I got ahold of that "SPURGE" add on that’s floating around the net, seems to have helped me big-time on some huge files. Can’t remember now where I managed to dig it up from but im sure if you search for 10 minutes it should manifest somewhere. Super Purge is shareware but offers a free trial period of as long as you feel is fair...

I heard that too, but I didnt try it yet.

I know this post is a oct 2009 but it can help someone

more tricks that I found here :

- if the .dwg file pass thru r14 to 2010 versions, it could be a good idea to copy/paste the hole drawing in a plain .dwg file.

- EXPLODE everything and do an OVERKILL

- if the .dwg file pass thru r14 to 2010 versions, it could be a good idea to copy/paste the hole drawing in a plain .dwg file.

I was also going to recommend that. This is a good way to solve problems in drawings, I always recommend starting a new drawing and then pasting everything from the old drawing into the blank one. I'm not sure if this will affect your drawing file size or not, but it will probably omit some useless information that was still in the old drawing and just wasting disk space.

I've also noticed that when I save down to a older file format (from C3D 2008 down to 2000, for example) it always increases the file sizes considerably. I don't know if this is happening to you, but I just thought I'd point it out for reference.

Im using 2007, and yes there was alot of blocks that got exploded, the drawing is going to become and xref for another drawing so it shouldnt be to bad i hope

Have you tried Wblocking what you want into a new file better option than cut an paste.

Superpurge is great i use it a lot, but it can take ages depending on the size of the drawing.

Are there annotated objects that have been save down a version thereby creating loads of new layers etc just a thought as i dont know what version the file started life at ?