Alias for "Esc" & "u"

kkimjin

Hi my friends,

I'd like to redefine Esc and "u" command use alias such as "ee" and "gg" by typing them easily using left hand. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Kim

I think your first task will be to familiarize yourself with AutoCAD's command aliases. Have you done that? Have you ever editted the acad.pgp file?

For most command, such as "line" "pline" (I can rename them as ee and qe), I can name it as an alias. But as there's no "Esc" command and "u" command (I don't mean "undo") in the list, I dont know how to do that.

Thanks

I got the one for command "u". But for "ESC", I still don't know how to do it. The problem is that "ESC" is not a command accepted by Autocad command line.

I don't have AutoCAD in front of me right now, but if I'm not mistaken, ESC is in fact Cancel. So that's the command you should want to define.

I recently discovered that CTRL+[ and CTRL+\ are also shortcuts for cancel (esc), i'm trying to retrain myself now to use CTRL+\ instead of ESC now :).

I recently discovered that CTRL+[ and CTRL+\ are also shortcuts for cancel (esc), i'm trying to retrain myself now to use CTRL+\ instead of ESC now :).

I don't get it, what's wrong with the Escape key?

I don't get it, what's wrong with the Escape key?

You have more chance of hitting the wrong key while reaching over to the top of the keyboard. (especially the F1 key)

You have more chance of hitting the wrong key while reaching over to the top of the keyboard. (especially the F1 key)

I've never understood that, but to each his own. Personally, I stick with the Escape key.

You know, you could redefined the F1 key, I redefined all the F* keys I wasn't using to execute useful functions.

To redefine F1 to also be Cancel is fairly easy, plenty of guides on here to do it. I know that I have it set that way :thumbsup:

I can't say how many times I go over to a co-workers desk and see Help blinking at the start-bar :D

Reaching over? I have left hand on the keyboard, Esc is pretty close then.

It would seem that blindly hunting to find EE or PE or whatever would definately be more hazardest than hitting the F1 button by accident. Most of the poeple I've ever seen use AutoCad kind of hover their hand over the left edge of the keyboard were the ESC key is easily accsessable by the middle finger. So I guess it would depend on your idle resting postion of your hands. If you approach the keybaord like a typist, I can see the problem.

Maybe this is a case of over thinking.