annotative dimentia

TBrandonLane

So, i've tried going through some tutorials, and i'm just not seeing what i need. maybe i haven't looked hard enough. this is probably a dumb question.

When i use DIMLIN, it gives me an "Annotative linear dimension". I only vaguely understand what annotative means in that sense (staying a certain size in actual paper space, regardless of zooming? maybe?). But when i try to edit the settings in the properties box, if i change the annotative scale to 1:1, and edit everything to make it look how I want, then the linear dimension doesn't show up in my paper space when i go to print something.

Why might I want to have an annotative scale of 1/8":1', like the default setting?

At some point, I noticed i had the option under dim style (in the properties bar), to choose "architectural" instead of annotative. Under this dim style, everything made sense. How did i lose that option, or is there something under the style manager that i need to load to have that option?

are there any tutorials i should be reading that would explain these things?

I attached a .dwg that shows the edited linear dimensions, which no longer exist in paperspace (though before i edited them, they show up).

back exit hallway.dwg

A quote from David Cohn - President, PPI Group and his AutoDesk Online course entitled Annotation Scaling - Making Drawings Smarter with Intelligent Text.

"Annotation scaling is a process in which objects such as text, dimensions and hatch patterns are automatically scaled based on the scale of the view in which they are displayed. You create an annotation scale for each view you use to display the object."

The class handout for this course can be found at www.audeskuniversity.com. Go to Online Courses and search for class GD315-1P. Registration is required.

Instead of setting the annotative scale to 1:1, set it to the scale that you want to print at. You were right about what annotation means, one addition though: You can set multiple scales on the same object, so that it will plot at the same size, at those particular scales.

Half of my issue i figured out, in case anyone reads this in the future: on the drawing status bar, right beside the viewport scale, there's a little button that says "Annotation visibility: Show annotative objects for all scales". Since i tend to hate buttons, and prefer my command line, i just didn't notice that little button.

I suppose this is getting more into the theory of autoCAD use, especially as autoCAD architecture seems to be leaning more and more toward BIM uses, they expect that all dimensions are only added from the paper space, and model space is only reserved for, well, modeling? Is it the common practice among autocad users that anything annotative, would exist only in paper space, not model space?

Some of us dimension entirely in our layouts foregoing annotative dimensioning. One can still snap to model space geometry, there are no annotative scales to deal with and all dimensions and text are sized for plotting at 1:1 scale. I commonly use 3/32nds (0.09375) or 1/8th (0.125) as my standards. No text or dimensions are used in model space.

I on the other hand have every and all texts/dims in Model Space, and absolutely love the annotative function.

I didn't know that button existed TBrandon, and it seems that it kinda removes the point of Annotation Scales - but haven't tried it, so can't say that that is how it is.

Yeah, if you've got several different dimensions (in different scales), then showing all of them in any 1 view port would mess things up, i suppose. I think i'm starting to get a feel for this annotative object stuff.

Ironically, now that i've figured out how to not use it, i feel much more open to using it.

As you see there are, once again, many ways of obtaining the end result you desire using AutoCAD. Your choice may depend on a combination of factors not the least of which is how you learned AutoCAD to begin with. If you search CT you'll come across previous discussions on this very topic. No doubt we will have at it again at some point in the future. Use what works best for you. I will not argue that my way is any better than Tiger's as it comes down to personnel preference.

Both ways seem to have advantages. Before i worked where i do now, i was working for a furniture store for a couple years doing custom designs (oddly enough, i was using a CAD program for an Amish furniture store). They didn't have much of a budget, and so they used a program called TurboCAD. It was interesting, and they only way you could reasonably show dimensions was using the method you described, ReMark, especially when doing 3d modeling. I like having both options.

Before i worked at the Amish store, i worked as sort of an on-site "facilitator" (aka engineer's lackey) in construction, and the files i would be sent would always have dimensions in model space, so that's just what i was used to. Never considered that i could maybe change. . . I suppose there are benefits to knowing more than one way to skin a proverbial cat, gruesome as it may sound.

We have a few drawings on file that were done that way too (dims in model space). Most of our dimensioned drawings however have only the objects in model space and the dimensions in the layout.

• 1 month later...