New Laptop for running ACAD 06 civil

JWLEACH

I'm thinking about buying an Inspirion 1750 with 2.1 Ghz Pent. Dual Core, 4GB RAM and 500 GB Hard drive. Just be using it for 2D drawings and some excel and word stuff. Looking for some insight on how the performance might be. Not sure about the graphics card at this time. Thanks

I'm thinking about buying an Inspirion 1750 with 2.1 Ghz Pent. Dual Core, 4GB RAM and 500 GB Hard drive. Just be using it for 2D drawings and some excel and word stuff. Looking for some insight on how the performance might be. Not sure about the graphics card at this time. Thanks

Well, the min. requirements for C3D09 are a P4 3.0. I think you are safe. :)

Sounds fine JWLEACH. Where are you posting from?

Shouldn't have any problems considering the minimal use you have planned.

Why a laptop? Are you needing portability?

You might want to check Lenovo's Thinkpad™ laptops, excellent.

Service from Lenovo is also second to none.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering how my civil 3D will run in the new windows enviornment... does anyone have an opinion on the new windows explorer?

Windows Explorer? Or, are you talking 'bout the new '07 OS (operating system)?

No experience with the new Windows 7 operating system.

Why would I want to address the problems I've seen posted on various web sites?

I would suggest WP XP Pro SP3, bet that's what most in the ACAD forums are currently using.

Take a peek-a-boo at Thinkpad™ laptops, I have four 14", thin, light, and greatly portable! The screens are crisp, clean, clear. Very nice.

The Thinkpad™ laptops come loaded, programs, HDD, memory.

Larger 17" Thinkpad™ laptops are available dual screen. A ten inch screen actually slides out from behind the 17" screen.

I would suggest WP XP Pro SP3, bet that's what most in the ACAD forums are currently using.

:huh: Why would you suggest getting a new computer with an old operating system? In fact, I don't think you can get a new computer with XP installed? If you were going to have it custom built, you might be able to get them to install XP, but not if you're buying off the shelf. Windows 7 is a brand new OS, so of course there will be some bumps in the road until they get the kinks worked out, but I would not recommend putting XP on your new laptop. Microsoft is no longer working on it, and I believe it has been retired. I've read that Microsoft will still provide tech support for the next few years, but there won't be any further updates or service packs. It's basically a dead OS at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

Cad64:

You are correct, difficult finding a new PC with the XP operating system.

Guess I'm just too old, 62+, to think 'bout learning new tricks.

I also worry about running some of my older programs in Windows 7 although

I've read a "Vista cleanup." MS did offer support for XP till 2014 I believe.

Back to the drawing boards!