3d Modeling Question

Engineering Student

Ok when u take a solid square for example then use the explode command to break it down to its individual faces. then change a few of the faces to different materials. now i wana put them together again

but not as a solid i just want all the faces to stay together when i select them (OR if possible a solid again)

i tried using union but that only works with solids

No need to Explode your model just to apply different materials to it. Just hold down the Ctrl key and then click on a face to apply a material to that face. Then switch to a different material, hold down the Ctrl key and click on a different face.

And to answer your question, no, you can't put a solid back together once you've exploded it.

Unless you have access to a modern 3D modeling program like Autodesk Inventor. Students can download Inventor for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

the inventor software that i will get from that link, is it trial? or its fully functional version with no expiration date with educational version stamp on it.

It's not a trial, it's a fully functional student version, but I believe it does have an expiration date. I'm sure you will be able to find out the answers to your questions once you register

No need to Explode your model just to apply different materials to it. Just hold down the Ctrl key and then click on a face to apply a material to that face. Then switch to a different material, hold down the Ctrl key and click on a different face.

And to answer your question, no, you can't put a solid back together once you've exploded it.

if he is using ACA 2010, then holding CTRL key method does not work, for some weird reason it does select the face but gives the whole solid same material....here is the solution how to go about giving each face different material with out explode command...

In command line type:

solidedit

fa

ma

hold ctrl key and select the face and press enter

then it will ask you to type the name of material..simply type the name of the material you want and you are done...

hopefully someone can come up with simpler solution than what i have. like by pressing one or two keys....this method does not work for walls...if anyone can give us an input how to change each face of wall it will be great...

if he is using ACA 2010, then holding CTRL key method does not work, for some weird reason it does select the face but gives the whole solid same material....

:? Well, it must work differently in Architecture then, because in plain Autocad 2010 it works fine.