Assembly - Constrain along angled surface

RaymondR

Morning,

I have Inventor 2009, and in a project I am trying to constrain two objects together using the X axis (no problem here) and an angled surface - both at 45 degrees.

As I try and add the constraint it seems as though nothing happens. When I apply other constraints the parts will "snap" into place, but for the angled surface it won't.

See the attached picture. This is an example of what I am trying to fit together.

I found the contact solver, and that works to move the parts until they stop, but once they contact I would like them to "stick", so to speak.

Thanks!

Cone_and_Ring.jpg

Sketch a horizontal line across the v at the contact point in each part and place an assembly constraint with the lines. If you can't figure it out post what you have so far.

When I am creating parts like this I derive the sketch from the first into the second - so it is already done as I go.

• 1 month later...

I ended up contacting Autodesk support regarding this question. They sent me a video that shows a successful mate along the angled surface.

It seems that if you just pick the conical surface it does not select the right surface to use.

You will need to hover over the cone surface, allow the select other arrows to appear, select the right button until it selects the surface without the center line, then the other surface it is to mate to.

This will accomplish the exact result I was after and there was no need to add additional sketch geometry.