what does this mean?!?!

mlibe22911

Hey all, I have been using autocad for a solid 5 years and have never come across anything like this. I talked to my sister who is industrial design at Virginia Tech and she was a little puzzled but was in a hurry so I have to ask you guys.

Attached are the dimensions that are confusing me, and the so far completed shaft. I have the threads (I hope. Correct me if I'm wrong, the threads are not a helix so I think i got it) but under it is a thing with the dimensions .125 x .125.

If anyone can tell me what the .125 x .125 is or what it looks like that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot,

-Matt

prj image help.jpg

prj help.dwg

Looks to me lika a 3/4" shaft w/ 1" of 5/8" Unified National Coarse thread and a 1/8" diameter x 1/8" high "nub" on the end.

Just a guess on the nub, could be a hole or maybe a slot???

My guess is it's a chamfer. Thread leads are often chamfered to remove the burr and allow for smooth engagement. But only a guess.

That sounds right...

My guess is it's a chamfer. Thread leads are often chamfered to remove the burr and allow for smooth engagement. But only a guess.

I doubt that's a guess. Right on!

5/8-11 threaded on one end to mount something on.

Kind of looks like a weld stud, the plain end would be welded on a structural piece; i.e.: channel iron, I-beam, or steel plate.

We used to use studs like this daily, lots of them. :wink:

Tankman, I agree that it's very likely the .125 x .125 callout refers to a chamfer. I called it a guess

because it could possibly be something else. Perhaps this is a good place to advise all the beginning

drafters (and the lazy old ones) that might be reading this to please take responsibility for your work

and double check your drawings for ambiguity and incomplete information. When you're doing a quick sketch

for a prototype, you might be forgiven for some sloppiness, but if it's a production drawing, there could

be a lot of time and expense riding on your drawing. I have a personal interest in other people's drawings

because I work for a job shop making precision sheet metal. I see a lot of bad drawings and I spend a lot

of time asking questions that I shouldn't have to ask. Every time I see one of these drawings I am

reminded of the old question : "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, do you have time

to do it twice?"