3 D Objects

ohmhead

Hello let me introduce myself iam new and old meaning age wise .

I have auto cad 2000i when in a 3 d drawning i can not change the center Z i have never used auto cad before i need some help ?

Did the 2000i have this feature ?

To change a single objects properties i can not pick z or change it i click left on object then click right screen comes up for prop but no input can be changed just color layer linetype ect ect but no XY OR Z .

Iam working on a simple box solid feature on a simple line in a room 3d and trying to raise it in elevation by input to Z this is basic but like i said iam old and new to this .

And never have used a computer before this is my first lesson .

Please understand iam green at this and trying to understand 2000i old cad?:(

AutoCAD is not the easiest program to work with when it comes to 3d and solid modeling. That's not to say it can't be done. I do all my design work in r14 solid modeling and actually like it. I don't have a properties dialog on r14 so I'm shooting from the hip here.

Now on to your problem. As you said, the solid object does not show you a X,Y, or Z value in your properties box. Even though it is a simple box it is actaully a complex object. If you were to union or subtract another cube what X,Y, or Z value should the properties display. Do you get my drift here?

If you want to find out about the object you will need to use the LIST command to discover the "bounding box" in other words the extreme measurements of the object in space.

To modify the placement of the object in 3d space you are pretty much limited to using the move command, or rotate or so on. There are several ways to do that. One way is to determine the distance you wish to move the object by performining a DISTANCE command and noting the X, Y, or Z distance between the two objects. For this to be done with accuracy you will want to use object snaps that will let you pick the endpoint, midpoint or whatever point(s) of reference you need. Then you would move your object accordingly by using coordinate entry.

That is only one method. Another methos would be to move the object directly by using osnaps. I suggest going to the help file and reviewing the following:

Move, List, Dist, Osnaps

Don't be afraid to experiment, one of my favorite commands is Undo

Well thanks Patrick iam new at this and yes i need help in this area . What iam working on is a electrical room with electrical panels in room .

After setting all panels in room these are of different sizes of the four different walls i need to raise up the bottoms of these panels to different elevations above the floor level the Z part is the problem .

I can place these in a room i can make the 3d box sizes fine but if i pick propertise i can not change the X- Y -[ Z ]- just thought it was a simple fix .

ill read more on this and undo is a great key point i thought this question would be

easy for this forum to answer iam using 2000i its old and i have never used autocad

or any cad program before in fact i never used a computer before so list - dist -Osnaps -mean nothing to me .

Thanks for the input .:(

list - dist -Osnaps -mean nothing to me .

Thanks for the input .:(

Yes, that is why I suggested looking them up in the help file. :)

If you already have them placed in the X,Y and need to only get them positioned in the Z-axis then select one panel and do MOVE 0,0,0 0,0,Z value

Good luck!