Properties of the section

thesniper

This is my first thread in this forum so your comment will be appreciated

We all know the region/mass properties command in Auto CAD which calculates the properties of the region (Area, perimeter, Moment of inertia ...etc) but it have a small annoying point, it calculates moment of inertia about the current UCS not about the centroid of the shape

I solved this problem in this macro which will calculate the properties of the region but about the centroid and as a bonus it will draw a point in the centroid of the region in layer named CG.

Try it and tell me your opinion

Thank you

Mostafa Abdo

PropSection.zip

Hi thesniper,

As you may have already determined, this forum does appreciate contributions form any/all of its members. I think it is safe to say, however, that some contributions are a bit scarier than others.

You may find more members willing to try, and comment on, your routine if there are able to see the source code. Understandably, not all coders are comfortable revealing there intellectual property. Likewise, not all CAD users are comfortable running potentially dangerous code from a member they know very little about.

I think once you have participated with more forum threads, let others understand your background, we would be able to revisit this (your initial) post and feel a bit more secure.

Nicely done.

Actually, I’m sorry my initial reply contained such a level of suspicion. Though, you have to admit, running unsolicited and un-inspectable code from unknown member, with the nickname “The sniper” may be hard to justify to the IT department, should the code prove malicious.

I also hope you agree that these first posts turned out well, as you now get credit for posting a useful routine as well as code that will be informative to others learning the language.

Thank you SEANT

I hope that anybody find this routine useful

and wait for others soon

about my nick name "The sniper", I took it from my favorite game Commandos

If you don’t mind my asking: How do ‘Region’s fit into your company’s workflow? I assume (based on your routine) they assist beam strength/stiffness calculations. Is that true? Do they perform any additional roles?

I ask due to my general perception that regions are under-utilized by most drafters. Granted, their use does require restructuring the traditional drafting patterns, which would likely hamper productivity in the short term.

Regions do offer a rather distinct set of capabilities, though, and now (since 2007, I presume) are more flexible with the available sub-object selection.

You are right we use this routine to calculate beam stiffness

And region is my favorite command especially as you said since sub-object selection