Does anyone know how I can coil something around a coil?

Pumpkins128

Hello I'm new here :)

I use Autodesk Inventor 2008, and I need to make a coil around a coil for one part of my school work for next year... but I don't have a clue how to do it :S

I drew a really rough picture of what I mean...

coiledcoil.jpg

...yeah, my MSPaint skills are beyond comparison :sweat:.

If it's even possible to do it, could someone tell me how?

Much appreciated :)

---

Your sketch is very clear :), I do undersatnd what you need to do, I have gave this a shot but no luck so far, I started with the basic coil command in a part file then opened an assembly and sketched a coil to rotate the first coil, I cannot get a projection of the first coil to drive the second coil:huh:, I think a 3d sketch may be needed?

Oh thanks! I didn't expect a reply so soon :).

I've never even used 3D sketches before (meep) but I was messing around with it and i managed to make a coil look like more of a snails shell... like it was coiled differently... however it was just a green line, so I'm still at a complete loss for how to do it :S. I was using 'Helix' and so on... guess i'm pretty much an uber noob :)

The blue cord on this link http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=353 is pretty much exactly what I need to do, do you think the guy who made it would know how to do it on Inventor? And be able to tell me if I asked him nicely and said please? o:)

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=353 is pretty much exactly what I need to do, do you think the guy who made it would know how to do it on Inventor? And be able to tell me if I asked him nicely and said please? o:)

I don't think fuccaro uses Inventor, so we will not be able to do the coil in Inventor for you, he used autocad and I quess some cool lisp program he wrote was used.

Autocad models can be used in Inventor but they are imported as dumb solids.