Steel Wire Mesh

cmjay83

Hi I am currently drawing a steel guarding and it needs to have wire mesh at 1 side of it, In inventor I managed to do this by change appearance or texture. I cant find anything like this in Solidworks, but I need it to show on the model?

Thanks

you can use any image you want and apply it. There are a few different types of steel chain/mesh materials. What version of Solidworks are you running?

yes i said there are a few types of chain/mesh materials. Do you have an image of the type of mesh you are looking for? Chances are good that you will need to create your own material. Are you comfortable with the SolidWorks environment and changing materials?

Under Metal>Steel I know there is a chain link material. Under Misc there are some checker and waffle patterns that might give the visual you are looking for if you are just trying to differentiate while modeling. Under Ruber>Texture there is a perforated rubber that you can alter that might be close as well.

Like i said if you have a specific wire mesh in mind you will probably have to make it yourself.

If you need help setting the material up just post up here. I think the file type might need to be a .png but you can save any image as that with paintbrush or other programs.

cmjay. I was applying some material to a plastic part and came across some plastic mesh materials that may help you out. If you just click on the plastic folder(no sub folder) there is a circular mesh plastic. Also there is a mesh folder that has a diamond mesh plastic.

• 6 months later...
Under Metal>Steel I know there is a chain link material. Under Misc there are some checker and waffle patterns that might give the visual you are looking for if you are just trying to differentiate while modeling. Under Ruber>Texture there is a perforated rubber that you can alter that might be close as well.

Like i said if you have a specific wire mesh in mind you will probably have to make it yourself.

I'm working on 2010 and under my materials on the tree, right click, edit materials... Brings up the extensive list and there's nothing similar to this. Did they change this for 2010? Anyone know?

Im not sure, i havent used 2010 yet, but you can download any apply any material image you wish. In the images forum here there are several links to free and pay sites with good material images.

I'm working on 2010 and under my materials on the tree, right click, edit materials... Brings up the extensive list and there's nothing similar to this. Did they change this for 2010? Anyone know?

Are you selecting a material in the feature tree or in the appearance tab? Take a look at screen shot, the appearance tab is located on the right. This is what you want to select to apply an appearance or texture.

Screen.jpg

Ahhhh... Yes!!! Thank you... I was trying to edit the physical material over in the tree, not on the appearances window. I appreciate it!

Khris