Helix & Sweep - AutoCAD rotates closed polyline before sweeping

-TJ

Hi All,

Problem in AutoCAD 2009:

I need to sweep a 15mm x 22mm rectangle along a helix with a 27mm radius, 80mm pitch, 22mm long (high).

The attached images illustrate what is happening when I try to sweep the rectangle -

Image #1 is a wireframe I made to show what the swept polyline should look like.

Image #2 is the result of the sweep, when picking the vertically oriented rectangle on the right of the small circle to sweep along the helix highlighted in image #1.

AutoCAD is first rotating my rectangle -90° in the USC indicated X plane, and also rotating it +25.xxx° in the UCS indicated Y plane before performing the sweep. Any ideas?

Alternately is there a way to turn my wireframe 4 helix "corners" and 2 rectangles (capping the helix's) into one solid?

Thanks for any help!

-TJ

sweep1.jpg

sweep2.jpg

I think I got it - after another hour of playing around, I abandoned the SWEEP command and used LOFT instead; Picking my wireframe rectangles, then using the 4 helix's as Guides.

Never had any use for LOFT, SWEEP, or HELIX before yesterday. HUGE thanks to CADTutor where I found [nearly] all the help I needed!

-TJ

sorry you didn't get any replies, but thanks for reporting back your solution :)

we're usually pretty quiet here at weekends as most people post from work!

Welcome to CADTutor btw :thumbsup: