Using the loft feature

roxstargh

Hello, I am new to solidworks and I am getting an error message that says that it cannot complete the loft because of intersecting lines. Basically I have shapes that look like elongated D's. The first shape I drew on the top plane then created a new plane and offset it about .5" from the first shape and then used "offset entity" and minimized the sketch approximately .10". Then I created another plane and drew another elongated D that is much smaller than the first and then repeated the steps making a new plane and then offsetting the entity to about .10".

The first sketch and the third sketch (the ones that are not offsets) are able to loft. Is there an issue with using offset entity? I did not want to have to redraw the same shape since it is basically the same size.

Thanks so much for your help!

Can you attach the file here?

Not sure but it sounds like you shouldn't offset the sketch - but rather, Loft without offsetting and then Shell.

If you have a consistent offset can this be done with extrude and a draft?

To me it sounds like your sketch where you offset entities, you left the original sketch and did not make it a construction. When you Offset, there is a check box that says "make base construction". Make sure if you do not want to include those lines that they are made construction lines.

It is really my lack of knowledge for what is available, I think. If it were a solid part I would do an extrude and fillet the parts but because it needs to be a thin feature I am not so sure. This is what I am trying to model (see pic). Do I need to make 3d curves when using loft?

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 1.jpg

toyv2.jpg

I can't quite tell from your picture but try to do an Extrude (just to test) on each one of your sketches. Will it allow you to extrude without picking multiple contours in the sketches.

BTW - the picture you posted is a solid part. I would most likely use Shell to get the part(s). Might require some surface body construction/editing, but the end result would be a solid body.

In my signature is a link to some surfacing tutorials - they are a little out-of-date but might be of some use.

Can you zip and attach the file here>

You are right. the extrude then shell feature is the way to go. I guess I just figured it would be easier to do in one sweep. Thanks for your help!!! I am going to practice some of your tutorials.

No, no, no that isn't what I meant. I think Loft and Shell is the way to go. I was just trying to show you a way to pinpoint sketch problems by testing them with Extrude.

• 1 month later...

try lofting with clicking at a similar point at a similar end (the front of the boat) from top to bottom. If you do it in a random order you get this error. if you do the loft clicking in random places, you also get similar errors (where the shape you are trying to create is cutting its self away or is giving double density)

try lofting with clicking at a similar point at a similar end (the front of the boat) from top to bottom. If you do it in a random order you get this error. if you do the loft clicking in random places, you also get similar errors (where the shape you are trying to create is cutting its self away or is giving double density)

When lofting, if you get "crosses" where the profiles are reversed you can click and hold on the green dot and pull it to the other side.

loftdots.jpg

When lofting, if you get "crosses" where the profiles are reversed you can click and hold on the green dot and pull it to the other side.

Fair enough, didnt know about this before, i was always just careful ^_^

Fair enough, didnt know about this before, i was always just careful ^_^

It wasnt long ago that i noticed them when having troubles. Makes the headaches a little easier to deal with :D