Trim/Extend Glitch

MOMOwheeler

First and foremost I would like to thank the administrators for offering this service; I wish I had found this place years ago!

I have been operating AutoCAD since v12 and have encountered a problem in my current 2002 program that has had me in fits for weeks.

Right out of the blue (it's possible someone messed around with my settings) one day my trim and extend features began acting up... they are trimming and extending to nothing and in very small increments.

For example, typically if I choose trim and then right click, I can trim any line without being forced to choose a trim point - very typical procedure.

The problem lately though is that when I use that process (without choosing a point to trim to), the system will trim a random portion of the line and in some cases, barely any of it. It can take half a dozen clicks to trim down a line and on some occasions, the trim is so small that it will actually leave individual nodes behind.

The same problem is occurring with Extend... if I right click instead of choosing an extend point - it's "supposed" to extend to the next object - but instead, it extends a fraction of the distance and stops in empty space.

I realize that this is not a critical error as I could just choose a trim/extend point because that still works fine - but as most of you probably know, there are many cases when one may want to trim/extend multiple lines in different areas all in the same command - using a full command for each segment is terribly inefficient and bothersome.

Any help you guy can offer would be GREATLY appreciated - THANKS! :D

Thank you for the welcome - but no, that is not the issue. Just out of habit, I never trim/extend if I cannot see the objective point. ... and you are right - the right-click trick does not work if your objective point is not on the screen (the objective point must be chosen if it is off the screen).

My issue is that it is trimming/extending to empty points in space (regardless of how far in or out I am zoomed).

Thanks though. o:)

Have you checked the system variable EDGEMODE ? It should be set at 0 for trimming to actual edges rather than to imaginary extensions.

Have you checked the system variable EDGEMODE ? It should be set at 0 for trimming to actual edges rather than to imaginary extensions.

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

(that was it!) :D:D:D:D

THANX! 8)

• 6 years later...

when i try to trim with enter enter it trims little microscopic pieces off of the line, its so frustrating, it is a big deal because i go pretty fast on autocad, and when i have to stop, reenter the trim command, zoom up really close and pick the cutting edge, then pick the trim part is ridiculous, I havent trimmed a line by picking the cutting edge first in 12 years, i cant go backwards, i know it is a system variable, i just cant find it,

Does anyone know how to fix this?

edgemode, thats it!!! BUT NOW THE REAL QUESTION IS....HOW DID ALL, OR A LOT OF MY SYSTEM VARIABLES GET RESET? EDGEMODE WAS RESET, PICKADD, WAS RESET, PICKFIRST WAS RESET, AND LIKE 3 OR 4 OTHERS, WHY DID THIS HAPPEN, NOBODY USES MY COMPUTER BUT ME, IM THE ONLY ONE IN MY FAMILY THAT KNOWS HOW TO USE AUTOCAD, HOW DO SYSTEM VARIABLES MYSTERIOUSLY GET RESET OR SET TO DIFFERENT NUMBERS? ITS REALLY FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU DONT KNOW WHICH ONES THEY ARE. THE ONE CALLED PICKFIRST GOT RESET, IM ALWAYS USED TO BEING ABLE TO SELECT OBJECTS FIRST, AND THEN THE COMMAND, NOT SO IF PICKFIRST IS RESET....

edgemode, thats it!!! BUT NOW THE REAL QUESTION IS....HOW DID ALL, OR A LOT OF MY SYSTEM VARIABLES GET RESET? EDGEMODE WAS RESET, PICKADD, WAS RESET, PICKFIRST WAS RESET, AND LIKE 3 OR 4 OTHERS, WHY DID THIS HAPPEN, NOBODY USES MY COMPUTER BUT ME, IM THE ONLY ONE IN MY FAMILY THAT KNOWS HOW TO USE AUTOCAD, HOW DO SYSTEM VARIABLES MYSTERIOUSLY GET RESET OR SET TO DIFFERENT NUMBERS? ITS REALLY FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU DONT KNOW WHICH ONES THEY ARE. THE ONE CALLED PICKFIRST GOT RESET, IM ALWAYS USED TO BEING ABLE TO SELECT OBJECTS FIRST, AND THEN THE COMMAND, NOT SO IF PICKFIRST IS RESET....

Likely a poorly written lisp, which when closed or aborted, failed to restore your previous system variable settings.

Do you see the Save All button in the bottom of my screenshot of the SYSVDLG box?

It is a very good idea to SAVE an .svf (system variable file), which contains all of your prefered settings, for just such an eventuality.

For those who use the Autocad OOTB default system variable settings (does anybody really do that?), they can be restored by using the Read button.

Edited by Dadgad

BUT NOW THE REAL QUESTION IS....HOW DID ALL, OR A LOT OF MY SYSTEM VARIABLES GET RESET?... HOW DO SYSTEM VARIABLES MYSTERIOUSLY GET RESET OR SET TO DIFFERENT NUMBERS?

The real question is, what were YOU doing when the variables changed? Was there a crash? Do you use LISP and possibly did not finish the routine gracefully, i.e. hit Esc before finishing the command?

Sounds like your EDGEMODE system variable.

As described in the screenshot.

YES, THANKS IT WAS EDGEMODE, I KNEW IT WAS A SYSTEM VARIABLE I JUST COULDN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED, I TRIED TO USE THE HELP MENU AND IT BROUGHT UP EVERYTHING BUT EDGEMODE.

HOW DO YOU BRING UP THE DIALOG BOX OF ALL THE SYSTEM VARiables?

thanks

If you have Express Tools installed,

Command: _.sysvdlg

Oh, well; refresh didn't catch the Remark remark for me. So, what's new?

Groooovey,

thanks f0r all the help. Hey this place is pretty cool. Ill be back, got a building to draw, or at least the steel in it.