How to draw a scroll handrail

Arnie

What version of Inventor are you using (files aren't backwards compatible). Looks like a Sweep and Revolve would get you there. Might need a Loft between the Sweep and Revolve depending on cross section. Can you attach what you have completed so far?

Hi JD.

I manage to have access to Inventor 2008 . I only tried with Autocad . Was told would be easier with Inventor , so I am completely new to it . Still going through the tutorials...

In order to use sweep I would need to draw the path and I am not quite sure how to do a 3D curve on inventor . Would appreciate any help given . Thanks

... I am not quite sure how to do a 3D curve on inventor . Would appreciate any help given . Thanks

Doesn't look like a 3D curve to me from the picture?

The process would be essentially the same in AutoCAD or Inventor. Inventor gives some advantage in control and editing, especially if you don't get desired results first time around. AutoCAD you would have to do more of a trial-and-error iterations nearly starting over each time.

Unfortunately I am running 2010 and the files are not backwards compatible.

Scroll.PNG

Hey JD

Would you mind telling me how you made it with sweep as the command doesn´t allow the section to be swept to overlap ?

The straight part of the handrail is supposed to be at 40 degrees in relation to the curly bit , that's where the 3D curve is necessary.

Thanks

If you look carefully at the picture, you will notice the shadow below the straight part .

Thanks again

A top, front, side view might have helped me see the geometry better. I couldn't tell that it was curving up away from the table in the shot you posted.

In any case, this would be a challenging part for a beginner. I takes a bit of knowledge of surface modeling, 3D Sketch intersections and Loft with Rails.

Sorry only been playing with cad for a couple of months, but not sure if this is something close to what you are looking for, needs some tidying up! if this is the sort of thing you want I will try to explain further how I created it.

mtail.jpg

mtail1.jpg

Sorry only been playing with cad for a couple of months, but not sure if this is something close to what you are looking for, needs some tidying up! if this is the sort of thing you want I will try to explain further how I created it.

Hey Jel.

That's exactly what iam trying to get. Could you break it down to me , please ?

The only point I woud make would be that the curve should start a litle earlier , basicaly where the curly bit finishes, like a 3D curve.

Thanks

I constructed this from three parts

1. the wreathing part leading into the monkey tail. (3d but drawn 2d and rotated)

2. the spiral part

3. A bun to sit in the middle of the spiral

1. draw a triangle with the correct pitch as the hypotenuse. the horizontal line (or going) is the minor axis of an ellipse, the hypot is the major axis.

create this and select the quadrant you want.

2. create a 2d spiral to suit the size of "D" tread you are working with. and take it round about .75 of a turn.

3. move the quadrant of the ellipse so the minor axis end connects to the outeer part of the spiral, then lift the major axis end of that quadrant upto pitch. this will now be circular from the plan view.

4. join these two parts together. locate an outline of your handrail profile over top of one end of this line and sweep rail.

5. finaly create a circle to sit inside the spiral cut your profile in half and rotate around the circle to create the "bun" part of the monkey tail. you may have to play with this a bit to get the proportions looking right.

hopefully that all makes sense, or gives you a guiding hand to find the solution.

The wreathing part stops at 90º on my drawing ( which would be the front of the tread) if you want it to travel further it gets a bit more complicated as you can not just tip an ellipse up to pitch, you will have a wreathing part that is going from pitch to pitch rather than pitch to horizontal. this then becomes a job on its own to create that wreathing part.

that piece looks like it was made from two. I would do the base of it as a solid, with some filleting around the outside and some sweep-cuts. then where the rail starts to raise would be a loft.

I constructed this from three parts

The wreathing part stops at 90º on my drawing ( which would be the front of the tread) if you want it to travel further it gets a bit more complicated as you can not just tip an ellipse up to pitch, you will have a wreathing part that is going from pitch to pitch rather than pitch to horizontal. this then becomes a job on its own to create that wreathing part.

Hey Jel

Thanks for all . Unfortunately it does need to travel that much further and that's exactly the problem ( 3D curve ). BUt thanks for the help