Contract Work Blues???

AllieEatsSushi

Hey y'all,.

I know this is off topic, but I am in desperate need of some advice, and I'll take any I can get.

Currently, I like my job okay.. I have awesome insurance with great benefits, but since I was hired on as entry level.. They kinda screwed me on my hourly rate (I'm a direct hire) $3 less than most entry level CAD drafters make. PLus, we are transferring our drawings from Visio to CAD (Correction, I am transferring our drawings from Visio toCAD) so I'm not really doing anything major, but I am supposed to train my co-workers on CAD, which I'm no expert at yet myself, and they have used Visio for so long that they are set in their ways, and don't really want to learn CAD. And, they have me making the company templates, blocks, and core drawings for the whole company (which is a gi-normous task considering I'm only entry level, and have been using CAD for only about 6 months now myself.)

So I have been looking for something else.

I went to an interview yesterday, and was notified today that they want to hire me... The only problem is.. I would be hired on as a contractor. I have an idea what that entales, but I'm not really sure what the perks are.. And they didn't talk to me at all about what I would be making, but everyone I interviewed with is really nice, and I would actually have people in my office who know how to use CAD (a mentor so 2 speak), and can help me and answer my questions, and I won't have the burden of converting an entire company from using Visio to CAD.

I do like the job I have now, but I don't feel I'm getting paid enough for the effort I have been putting forth, and I feel extremely overwhelmed and stressed being the only person in an 80 something people company who knows how to use CAD. Not to mention my boss is kind of a jerk, and he constantly makes me feel uncomfortable (staring, making me bend over to measure the new office space in front of him.), I'm the only woman in my entire company. And....

What should I do??? Any and ALL advice is welcome. I'm stuck in this decision, and I have no idea which direction I should take.

An independent contractor? Is that the terminology they used?

Typically, IC's get a higher rate of pay but they are responsible for paying all Fed taxes (social secuirty and Medicare). IC's normally don't qualify for company benefits either (sick time, vacation time, paid holidays).

If you're not sure it would be best to ask before you give your present company your letter of resignation.

And talk to someone in Personnel about your boss's penchant for "peep shows". He isn't just looking...he's leering. There's a big difference. It is also referred to as sexual harassment. How many of the men in the office are asked to do the same? My guess the answer is 'none'.

I am no expert in giving advice but i can understand your situation & here is my opinion. you should go for that new job as contractor. if you put in extra effort & show proactive ness, they will eventually hire you on payrol. normally contracting rates are slightly higher than salaried employe but you can ask them what they would be paying as an hourly rate & make it clear if includes service tax or GST wahtever is applicable as contractor.

when i went to sydney in 2000, my first job was 4 weeks contracting which eveentuall turned into job & i stayed with them for more than an year. so you may have that opertunity or otherwise also you will learn a lot form other cad users in the compony & will be able to have better job within a year.

some of the members here are in contracting & they do actually like that.

so give it a go.:thumbsup:

and BTW welcome to the forum. we have one more wo-man member in the cadtuor comunity. so we are increasing in numbers.:)

aww. thanks guys.

I'm def. going to look into the contractor position.

As for my boss, I don't think we have a human resources...

More replies are always welcome.

:)

For the first part of your post I was thinking to myself "Quit complaining. If you're a newbie then you have to pay your dues before the money comes. Step up to the plate and hit a homerun..." Then I got to the part about you feeling uncomfortable and feeling the boss is eyeing you. Now considering this isn't simply a misinterpretation of his actions and he really is staring and making you feel uncomfortable I would turn in my resignation and take the contractor job. As previously stated that does come with more responsibilities when it comes to taxes. You must be paid enough to cover taxes and still make your wage. You also will have to consider insurance, especially if you have kids that need coverage.

If it turned out that the boss really wasn't peering at you in the way that you feel he is then you're in a great position just starting out. You just have to be ambitious and seize the opportunity. Take the initiative to do what you're being asked. Use the internet to help you when you need help. Read the cad management articles in AUGI World and equivalent publications. Visit these forums (as well as others) and pay close attention to the cad management section. Ask questions. If your coworkers are stuck in their ways and resist the change then talk to the boss about that because then they aren't letting you do the job you were hired to do and we just can't have that sort of behavior. Let the boss deal with it if you are unable to coax them into playing the team game.

Find your focus and I think you'll do fine.

Thanks so much for your input.

I am 75% sure I'm going to take the contract... I talked to the company, and they agreed to put it in writing that if I stay past 90 days they will hire me into the company officially, and they are going to pay $4 more an hour than I'm making right now.

I still need a night to sleep on it though, I haven't made up my mind completely, and I had another interview last week somewhere else I like alot. So it's really a matter of time I guess before I pick something new. I do already have insurance that I actually pay for myself (through my parents) that I get to keep until I'm 25, so another 4 years. Kids, I do not have yet.

I was also told that they take out the taxes on my checks. Is this wrong?

I did address the sexual harassment issues during my interview, and the guy who wants to hire me let me know that they have no tolerance for it there.. So this could be good for me.

You currently work in a company with 80 people and there is no HR person or department? Seems a bit unusual.

Since the new company says they'll be taking taxes out to fork over to uncle Sam then you have no problem.

Good luck on your ultimate decision. Let us know what happens.

Thanks so much for your input.

I am 75% sure I'm going to take the contract... I talked to the company, and they agreed to put it in writing that if I stay past 90 days they will hire me into the company officially, and they are going to pay $4 more an hour than I'm making right now.

I still need a night to sleep on it though, I haven't made up my mind completely, and I had another interview last week somewhere else I like alot. So it's really a matter of time I guess before I pick something new. I do already have insurance that I actually pay for myself (through my parents) that I get to keep until I'm 25, so another 4 years. Kids, I do not have yet.

I was also told that they take out the taxes on my checks. Is this wrong?

I did address the sexual harassment issues during my interview, and the guy who wants to hire me let me know that they have no tolerance for it there.. So this could be good for me.

We're hiring two new entry level CAD designers. Move to Dallas and get on with us.... :wink:

check us out at http://www.venturemech.com and tell the boss who wants to jump in the sack with you to drop dead. 8)

Thanks guys.

Haha. Dallas?? I can hardly afford to live here.

I'm saving for a new car, but I have to find a job I like first.

I'll let y'all know what I decide tomorrow.

:)