Metric viewport scale help needed....

Anita Bradshaw

Hello All....

I am new to this forum and I am in hopes that someone here can shed some light on this Metric problem I am having. I have worked in Imperial units my entire career (25+ yrs) and had very little to no need to use Metric units. I now find myself in a position that I need help with....I have a drawing that I am trying to create....and here's what/how I did it....in Model Space I created my graphics with my Units set to decimal and unitless, that way they can be anything I want them to be (or at least this is waht I was told many years ago)....I created my drawing, no problem....now I have flipped into paperspace to create the layout tab for this drawing. I have my paper size set to 8.5 x 11.....and I am trying to scale my viewport to a metric scale, not sure exactly what that scale will be just yet....anyway....as I have been doing some reading on the internet concerning the scale factors for metric viewports I am finding all kinds of confusing info....I have found charts that show the scale factors are as simple as 1:100 (1/100xp) and then another chart shows that the scale factor for a 1:100 would be (10xp) so am I missing something here? I found an article that speaks of the fact that in paperspace the viewport would be scaled to millimeters instead of meters as in Model space.....so needless to say I am more confused now than ever.....I took a look at the standard viewport scales that come embedded inside Acad, and based on what I have read from my research, Acad doesn't provide any standard Engineering scales as I see it....for if you look at the scales like 1:10 it shows 1 unit in paperspace is equal to 10 units in model space....well based on the chart that I found, that would reflect a Metric scale, as the same chart shows that a 1"=10' Engineer scale would be 1 unit in paper = 120 units in model....so again...I am sitting here with smoke now seeping out of my ears...due to a mental overload with this...trying to figure this thing out....so if any of you could/can provide me with a list of scales that I can add to my scale list that would give me the correct parameters for both my engineer scales as well as the metric scales I would forever be humbled.....I am just so confused at this point.....HHHEEELLLLPPPP

Thanx...Anita:cry:

ReMark....

Can you please explain to me how you got the 10xp, 5xp, etc.....this is all making no sense to me whatsoever.....and my only excuse is I'm having a Monday! I so want to understand the metric viewport demon, but at this point in time I am just lost.....I am now confused about the scales that show up in my scalelist.....the 1:10, 1:20, etc scales...are they metric or are they engineer? I have read that the engineer scales are as follows.....1"=10' (1/120xp not 1/10xp) I know that I am sounding really dense here, but I am just lost.....:shock:

I really am in hopes that someone can provide me with the scales that I can place into my scalelist and have them just come up when I select the viewport scale list....or at least provide me with the correct formulation for calculating these factors.....

Thanx again for you reply....and I apologize for being thick as mud today!

Anita

:wacko:

The scales 1:100, 1:200. 1:250, 1:500 etc. are metric.

Calculating zoom factors. In AutoCAD these are denoted via the

"xp" option of the Zoom command.

Remember that a millimeter is 1/1000 of a meter.

Scale: 1:100 Zoom factor = 10xp

1/100 x 1/1000=

1/100 x 1000/1=

1000/100 = 10

Scale 1:200 Zoom factor = 5xp

1/200 x 1/1000=

1/200 x 1000/1=

1000/200 = 5

Scale: 1:250 Zoom factor = 4xp

1/250 x 1/1000=

1/250 x 1000/1 =

1000/250 = 4

Scale: 1:500 Zoom factor = 2xp

1/500 x 1/1000=

1/500 x 1000/1=

1000/500 = 2

From DraftingSteals.com:

"Metric floor plans are drawn in a ratio of 1:50. This is very close to a scale of 1/4" = 1'-0" (1:48 )."