Importing pre made 3d dwg files into 3ds max

fifild

for some reason i guess i'm just missing some thing, i have downloaded some files from a truss manufacturer in dwg format, and have tried to import them into 3ds max. i know that the dia. of the truss is 10' x 12" x 12', when i import it into the program it comes out at 254' x 25' x 25'. i have read and followed various examples but i still reach the same measurements. i have used the same files in autocad and have had no problems with scale. i am very new to 3ds max.

what am i missing here?

thanks

frustrated in jersey

Was the dwg file drawn correctly at 1:1?

What are the units of the dwg file? Imperial or Metric?

What are the units of your Max file? Imperial or Metric?

Can you attach one of the dwg's here for me to look at?

I don't understand why the dimensions would change like that, in such a non-uniform manner. If the units are set up the same way in both programs, you should be able to import with no problem.

ok so i think because of frustration i started clicking, and low and behold it was drawn in metric... so i have those brain dead moments alot more as i get older. attached is the file i was using. now for a new question, in autocad you can set a global scale to work from that if you import dwg files everything stays at that scale, how do you do it in max?

B0700wf.DWG

ok got that, thanks. now the last question of the evening....i'm using a plug in for esp vision that you can download from their site, espvision.com, taking the file that i gave you and using the plug in that they have, combining the two i get a very different result. the truss comes in accurately but the plug in brings in the fixture at 12' instead of 1'. the plug in is free so if you would like to give it a try i could use all the help i can get here. i will contact esp in the morning but you might find the plug in interesting... one other thing, global scale should be 1/8"=1'

again thanks for all the help

fifild

lighting designer

"Poison"

If the fixture is coming in at 12x larger than it should be, that tells me your default units are probably set to feet instead of inches. Double check your Units Setup and make sure you have it set correctly.