Locking an AutoCAD file

I'm running AutoCAD 2008 and I want to send a cad file to someone, but I don't want them to change the drawing itself. I don't want to save the file as a bmp or pdf, because the quality of the drawing becomes unclear. So basically I want to lock the drawing, not the layers. Does anyone know if whether or not this can be done? :huh:

I tried the program (DWGguardTNT), both in model and paper space, but I kept getting an error message (in spanish) and it automatically aborts the VLX file. Am I loading it incorrectly or does the program not work with AutoCAD 2008?

I don't want to save the file as a bmp or pdf, because the quality of the drawing becomes unclear.

:huh: Why are your pdf's unclear?

What pdf writer are you using?

Please don't start multiple threads asking the same question.

Visually when you plot a PDF next to a DWG file, you virtually cannot tell any difference at all with the naked eye. If you still want to believe that a PDF is not "good enough" then just send a DWF of the file. If someone can open a DWG then they can open a DWF.

I tried an experiment using 2010 and created a DWF file. I saved it to my desktop. I then renamed it as a DWG file. I tried to open it with AutoCAD but it failed.

Styk: When you "If say someone can open a DWG then they can open a DWF" what exactly were you referring to? Open it with what? A viewer? Yes. With AutoCAD? By my experience the answer would be "No."

Thanks. For a moment there I thought I had messed up the creation of the DWF file and that's why it failed to open even though I renamed it as a DWG file.