Whats wrong with the ucs?? It wiggles!

When i draw a line at 0.0 degrees .. it looks crooked i checked my ucs and sometimes it looks straight but when i zoom in and out it changes from being straight to crooked... sorta looks like its wiggling

i think i may have clicked or typed something to make it this way.. i cant work with my drawings always looking crooked :(

The question here is if it just looks wiggly or if it is. Autocad doesn't always regen/redraw the drawing while you are zooming and panning, and that can make the lines look crooked and wiggly. Try typing REGEN and see if that straightens it up.

To see if a Line is indeed crooked I would use the DIST command and see if there is a change in Y or X that would indicate a crooked-ness.

If you find that it just looks crooked there are few things that could be wrong. First, have it always been like this or is it a recent change? What kind of graphics card are you running with?

it started while i was working last night..I think i may have done the "SHIFT+mousewheel button" which i think orbits the drawing? Coz when i try to combine two lines it just says 1 is not parallel with the ucs, like this:

Object selected is not a polyline

Do you want to turn it into one?

Enter an option [Close/Join/Width/Edit vertex/Fit/Spline/Decurve/Ltype

gen/Undo]: j

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 1 found

Select objects: 1 found, 2 total

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 1 found, 3 total

Select objects: 1 found, 3 total

1 was not parallel to the UCS.

yes the lines arent straight.. but when i check the angle of the line , its at 0.0 degrees

Well, then it is straight, at least as far as AutoCAD is concerned..

Make sure you are in World UCS - type UCS and W for world.

How does your crosshair look? is it green/red or white/black as usual?

If you do LIST on the line in question, does it have a Z-value at all?

Make sure that you are in Top-view - View menu, Views (I think, I'm on another version) and choose Top. You can also find it on the Views-toolbar

thanks! i got it now.. apparently i wasnt working on the top view lol

good that it's sorted :)

Yeah, Shift+Mouswheel starts the 3DORBIT command, but if you don't do anything different you almost always continue to draw on X-Y-plane so the lines look crooked but are in fact straight :)

Yeah, Shift+Mouswheel starts the 3DORBIT command, but if you don't do anything different you almost always continue to draw on X-Y-plane so the lines look crooked but are in fact straight :)
so that's what I keep doing! Every so often my drawings gets twisted. I've realised that its finger trouble but never worked out quite what. Thanks Tiger. :)

so that's what I keep doing! Every so often my drawings gets twisted. I've realised that its finger trouble but never worked out quite what. Thanks Tiger. :)

no worries :)

:(:(im still having a hard time fillet-ing lines even when im on the top view.. i checked the line with the DIST command and it seems that the DELTA Z isnt at 0.0 ... how can i fix this? the line looks fine until i try to fillet it :?:

If it's more than a few lines but still a limited amount of lines (as in not a square-kilometer of lines, that at least freezes my comp), and just normal objects like Lines, Polylines and Circles and such you can use the command FLATTEN to get everything to Z=0.

IF it is just a few lines/objects you can use the command CHANGE and select elevation to get Z=0.

If it's just one line/object, you can bring up the Properties box (command PR) and change the Start Z and/or End Z to 0.

Have I missed a skinning-method? :wink:

Have I missed a skinning-method? :wink:
don't think so BUT
If it's just one line/object, you can bring up the Properties box (command PR) and change the Start Z and/or End Z to 0.
this can be used on multiple entities in one go.

How do i do the flatten command ? im using autocad architecture 2009 and FLATTEN is an unknown command.. :)

hmm...wonder if FLATTEN is an Express tool - do you know if you have the Express tools installed? You should have an Express-menu then. I'm not at the office right now so can't check it for myself.