Export 3DS Problem

CADZINE

Hi,

I have drawn a 'kitchen layout' using basic AutoCAD P-line and extrusion commands. Each component are on their relative layers. As everyone knows rendering in AutoCAD is quite basic and not quite good enough for a presentation.

Howver, I have downloaded a demo version of Bryce hoping to come across some magical answer.

Problem. My AutoCAD drawing consists of about 20 blocks (which amount to no more than 900kb total) but i am trying these out one at a time. When I export one block it seems to give up after 20 seconds, even though i have given it a good five minutes to export! I drew a simple cylinder and that exported with no problems into Bryce in seconds

Is there a way of simply drawing 3D objects (pline, extrusion commands etc) that do not turn out to be monster files!

eg: Block to export - 250kb..hangs after 20 seconds or so.

Is there a simple formula of settings for drawing these 3D objects in AutoCAD 2006?

Any response would be much appreciated.

L

Need to be a bit more patient!!

Basically, export to 3DS and leave your computer while it sorts it out! Dont touch anything or AutoCAD will freeze and not respond!!! lol

• 6 years later...

the 3ds export seems to create 1mb bmp files of each graphic elemment. why bitmaps ? the process can take hours or simply freeze and it takes hours to realise its frozen cause youve gone off and done other things. is there a way of changing the defaults and avoiding this ?

to be honest graphic programs need a microsoft or google approach - ie some standard in conversion . from what i see each program has its own import / export software that works 70 percent of the time and the 30 percent that doesnt work occurs when you want to use it

Why are you replying to a 6-yr old thread with no new and useful information?

Autodesk has a suggestion link http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

...is there a way of changing the defaults and avoiding this ?

Oops, I missed your question when I read this initially - I think you would have been better off starting a new thread and describe only your problem statement.

Attaching an example file here might help arriving at solution as well.

Are you using 3DS Max 8 or 2008? (was there such a release)

What version of AutoCAD?